Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Peasants of Republican Rome
How large were Italian peasant households under the Republic? This came up as I was researching changes in Italian agriculture around the time of the Gracchi. Obviously, the burden of military service would be greater on a 'nuclear' household with one or two men than on an extended family living under its paterfamilias. I care more about Roman customs than those of the other Italian peoples.

What was the division of labour by sex like? I know that some cultures expect women to help with heavy agricultural work in addition to their other duties, while others do not. I know that among the Greeks women were supposed to stay indoors, although some poleis took this more seriously than others and things loosened up in the Hellenistic period. Again, this would affect how much a hardship having a man away at war would be.

I wish I knew a lot more about rural life in general, come to think of it.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Have you had a look at Rosenstein's Rome at War: Farms, Families, and Death in the Middle Republic? That'd be a good place to start, and it's explicitly concerned with the burden of military service among other things.

There's a brief thread on it here, where I posted links to several reviews.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan