Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamata length
I bought a chainmaille shirt awhile back, half sleeves, nicely done. I have removed the sleeves to make the doubler, but now I am wondering, how long were the Hamatas? Mid-thigh? a little past the waist? Thanks in advance!

the original pic:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=16024

as it is now:
[Image: IMG_0059.jpg]

Wes
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Depends which period.

Republican shirts are nearly always depicted to mid-thigh.

First C AD tombstones and the Trajanic Adamklissi monument shows them to an inch or two below the scrotum

Trajan's Column shows them a lot shorter. (OK for horsemen but doubtful for infantrymen).
Thanks! Its pretty long on me, so I can use some of the extra length of the bottom to finish the doubler. Now to find leather to make a backing and de-galvanize the shiney shirt!
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

And when you take the hem to a shorter length, you don't have to cut the rings, just bend them open. I discovered after a while that keeping the ends together and opening them up/down rather than wider makes a whole lot more sense. But I guess everybody but me knew that.

I'm a master of doing things the wrong way first, and then finding solutions to problems other people never even encounter. I guess it's a gift. :roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I hear you!! Kinda like cutting it 3 times and it's still too short!
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Quote:First C AD tombstones and the Trajanic Adamklissi monument shows them to an inch or two below the scrotum

Well that's not very helpful Adrian...some people's scrotii hang lower than others...bahahahaha!

So now if wes does his to your specs, and his hamata is down by his knees, we'll all know something revealing about him lmao!

Legion: TBD
Well, mine is just about that length, not what I wanted for a Republican impression though, but ok for a cavelry shirt you reckon Peronis??
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:So now if wes does his to your specs, and his hamata is down by his knees, we'll all know something revealing about him
Yeah, that he wears specially made trousers. Or MC Hammer surplus jam jeans.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Length of the Hamata doubler, too high? Theodosius the Great 9 2,402 11-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Last Post: Doc