Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hand mills/querns
Quote:Anti- clockwise turning
Imagine how few people in the next generations are going to know what that means, being entirely exposed to digital clock displays.

Peroni, what does that quern weigh? How long would it take to grind a couple of cups of flour from wheat berries?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I just bought a watch with hands, after 20 years of digital...... :roll: Confusedhock:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Peroni, excellent pics. That explains a lot about what I was guessing on with our quern.

Does the clockwise, counter-clockwise feature function because the cuts in the stone are angled (are undercut on one side and sloped on the other)? Or because of the offset radial pattern of the cuts?
[Image: dirttagline.jpg]
Gobae - The Blacksmith
aka Dan Crowther
Ancient Celtic Clans
Re: Living History Blog
Quote:Peroni, what does that quern weigh? How long would it take to grind a couple of cups of flour from wheat berries?

About 30kg and about 3 minutes!

Quote:Does the clockwise, counter-clockwise feature function because the cuts in the stone are angled (are undercut on one side and sloped on the other)? Or because of the offset radial pattern of the cuts?

I think because of the off-set radial pattern. Whatever it is it works like a dream!
30kg is yielding 2 cups of flour?! Wow, that's some reduction.

So in order to bake a "standard" 2# loaf of bread (4 cups of flour), you'd need to start with 60kg of wheat (132#)?
Gobae - The Blacksmith
aka Dan Crowther
Ancient Celtic Clans
I think he means the quern is 30 kg and that it will take 3 minutes to grind 4 cups of wheat.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Yes! Thanks Jurjen. I answered the two questions with one sentance!

The quern weighs 30kg

Three minutes for making the flour quantity!
Oh! Duh. Yeah, that make more sense Smile

Whew, I was envisioning the amount wheat we'd have to bring in order to bake a couple of loaves of bread at our next event.
Gobae - The Blacksmith
aka Dan Crowther
Ancient Celtic Clans
Hey, wait! You bring me 30kg of wheat, and I'll give you 2 cups of flour. yeah! That works for me!

(Wheat for sale, 29.9 kg bags, Wheat! Get yer wheat!)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Here's a quick photo of the Depeeka quern I bought this year. I also bought one of the Pompeii stoves. I haven't tried running any grain through it yet.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
I Have an original hand operated Roman quern in my garden, it is mounted ontop of my original Roman Hypercaust pillar. Will try to get some good photos' done for you Wes. This one is a little concave on its underside, dont have the lower piece. It does not have a hand post on its' edge, for operation this one has a hole in the edge where a leather thong would have gone through. It was given to me some years ago by a wonderfull older couple who lived ontop of a Roman fort. The Hypercaust pillar was going to be dumped by a farmer, I was given this by this very kind gentleman. They both make a nice bird table in my garden.
Brian Stobbs
Pictures would be great! Thank you very much! Laudes....

Wes
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Just found out that I didn't post the pictures I took for this topic in the Valkhof Museum, Nijmegen. So, here they're.

[Image: DSC04940.jpg]

[Image: DSC04939.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM