Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are you from?
I've posted a message for you regarding contributions to RomanArmy.com. Please read the message in the Round Table forum for you. Cheers! <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Welcome Occulus Aelius to Off-Topic! I'm the moderator around here so feel free to ask any questions. Post whatever you want here. <p></p><i></i>
Avete,<br>
<br>
Near Alexandria, Va, and participate with the Legio XX Valeria Victrix. <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Yes, I live in the radiated infected Washington (that's <b>STATE</b> wait, did html work in this forum?). Actually hanford ain't that bad, it's something else I won't mention because some people might not like me for it<br>
<p><i><b>Romulus Agustulus, Ceaser of Rome and president of UPURS<br><marquee>Veni, Vedi, Veci: I came, I saw, I conquered</marquee></i><br>My homepage</p><i></i>
Hi everybody!<br>
Another tiro for the legions here, although I hope to make trierarch once, instead of centurion. I live in the fair Colonia Ulpia Traiana Noviomagus Batavorum, or Nijmegen, The Netherlands, about two kilometers from the site of the fortress of Leg.X.Gemina. I'm 25 years of age, studied history at the University of Nijmegen and wrote my final essay about the Roman Imperial Navy. That is therefore my main interest, but I won't shun the landlubbers, if it was only for the legions I and II Adiutrices, which were first recruited from the navy.<br>
Greetings!<br>
<br>
Jasper<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Salve,<br>
<br>
Welcome to the forum, good to have some more input from the Netherlands.<br>
<br>
There is a great need for contributors to the site. Since you have the Roman navy as a pet subject, would you consider wrtiting an article on the subject for the romanarmy.com site?<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
It is interesting to see where everyone is from. I'm<br>
currently living in the Los Angeles area but really not<br>
enjoying it very much. It used to be alot nicer here but<br>
has become "over populated".<br>
Jenny- Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate<br>
your hard work on this site and your thoughtful replies<br>
to the many different topics. Also, many years back I was<br>
posted to Frankfurt am Main with the ASA. While there the<br>
locals were building a new subway which was going to run under the old city center and guess what the found while<br>
tunnel digging? Roman ruins. Know one knew at that time that the Romans had a permanent site at that location (I think...)<br>
Bene vale,<br>
Allectus <p></p><i></i>
Hi, I live in Italy near Venice. I work in Padova (where Galileo and Copernicus lectured). I teach just south of Rome so I do a lot of traveling this time of the year (March through July). When passing through Rome, if I have time, I stroll around. My favorite spots are the Pantheon and Trajan's column. The column of Marcus is not as easy to see as its pedestal is too high, while, for those of you that haven't yet visited the Eternal City, the pedestal of Trajan's column is below street level and the lower portion is easier to "read". A little farther down is the arch of Constantine. It contains sculptures representing soldiers from Trajans' time and Constatine's. Great and very interesting contrasts (art quality AND armour represented). Another wonderful site (need a taxi or bicycle - ATTENTION: on Sundays very large portions of downtown Rome are closed to traffic. I rode a bike from Piazza del Popolo to the Appian Way with only a very brief section with traffic and light at that. If you are in shape and its Sunday, then try it out. Don't even dream of doing it on any day other than Sunday!!)... As I was saying another wonderful site that I hotly suggest you visit is the "Porta San Sebastiano". It is the gate from which the Appian way leaves the city. Its outstandingly majestic! Built by Honorius its absolutely superb. I showed it to some American friends from California on visit last week at midnight. The first night visit. WOW! Even the taxi driver got out to look!! Another exciting gate is the "Porta Asinara".<br>
Ciao for now.<br>
<br>
p.s. Sander, I haven't had time yet to get the reference about the repeating catapult. I haven't forgot, just too busy. <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Hi Sander,<br>
You're right there, let's compensate for the size of our nation!<br>
Don't mind writing an article about the navy, not at all, it's just that it's quite a complicated and big subject. Quite enough to fill a bookcase with interesting discussion. I probably should write an introduction and elaborate on that as I go.<br>
In the meantime, I'm preparing an article on Legio I Adiutrix, will that do?<br>
<br>
Greetings<br>
<br>
Jasper<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Salve,<br>
<br>
An article on your pet legions is most certainly welcome. You should take up contact with Jenny Cline about it.<br>
<br>
The Roman navy has always been one of the subjects that lagged behind the rest in my own studies of the Roman army. Therefore I will certainly be taking advantage to pick your brain over a few naval subjects that puzzle me. next weekend I will post sme questions in the history section of the forum.<br>
<br>
Do not worry about the size of the subject. For the last few months I have been working on imperial legionary organisation and that is also quite a large subject.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Pick my brain as much as you like. I just hope there's enough up there!<br>
Seriously though, I have the 'standard'-books on the Imperial Navy at hand (which isn't difficult, since there are just about five of 'em!). Please fire away, it'll help keep me sharp on this subject and I'll do my best to come up with a satisfying answer.<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Welcome Jasper! (And all the others I haven't personally greeted along the way...)<br>
<br>
By all means, we'll be glad to receive your articles for publication on RomanArmy.com. I've been wondering if we'd ever find a student of the Navy, and here you are. Glad to have you join us. We're a friendly bunch.<br>
<br>
<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Thank you! I'll see what I can do, and I already feel very much at home, despite my own countryman grilling me with his terrible questions!<br>
I'll try to finish an overview on Legio I Adiutrix this weekend and then I'm going to prepare an article on the Rome's first ventures on water (1st Punic War and before). That'll probably take a little while longer though!<br>
<br>
Greetings<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ujasperoorthuys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Jasper Oorthuys</A> at: 3/27/01 10:10:30 am<br></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Boulder CO is a nice place to be <p></p><i></i>
Ave, Aulus:<br>
<br>
I too am from Des Moines, Iowa. I was rather hoping that there were other Romans located near me. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] <br>
<br>
Gaius Octavius Drusus <p></p><i></i>
Michael Garrity