Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any evidence for pre-Roman hexagon shields?
I've seen reenactors and even some recent artwork showing pre-Roman Celtic and/or Germanic warriors using hexagonal shields. I'm wondering where and when does this evidence (if any) come from?

It seems so simple, but I haven't been able to find anything on a triumphal arch or coin to a show a true hexagon (with a clearly defined points in the mid-section) shield. After looking at some pictures of what has been described as "hexagon shields", the remnants of the original art shows what is more like a "truncated ovals," for lack of a better term.

Any information would be great, even if there is evidence from just one part of Europe in the time before the Romans.

Thanks in advance.
Lugorix

aka:  Jeffrey Adam Scharp
I don't know of any representations created by non-Romans. If you are looking for Roman-made representations that are clearly angular, defenitely not clipped ovals, then I can offer a few:
There are some true hexagon-shaped shields on Trajan's Column (belonging to auxiliaries). The Urne of Hermippus has some hexagonal shields amongst the captured barbarian equipment. Some Roman reliefs at Bologne do too. I have trouble posting images, so I can email you a jpg if you give me your address.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
[Image: gallic%20mail.jpg]

Pilier de Mavilly (cote d'or). early first century AD ?

[Image: celticshields2.gif]

Arch at Orange

[size=150:1nectqej]John Nash[/size]
http://www.vicus.org.uk
Romans and Britons wot fight ........
Eastern Poland, Nadkole, "female grave", No 141B. Shield miniature, jewellery. Very good example of hexagonal type. The second century A.D. It may be less konwn outside Poland, so I decided to show it.

[Image: 9nadkole_255.jpg]
Wojciech Wasiak (Votava)
HARJIS / DAGOME
That's a nice example I've never seen before, Votava. Thanks for posting it.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Hi Votava,

after J. Andrzejowski this urne grave 141B dates B2a (last quarter 1st ct AD). So it isn´t a prove for preroman usage of this shield form. Nevertheless it gives some ideas of the basic shield construction.

Laking any barbaric pictural sources for shield forms, there are at least some miniature shields in "our" part of the barbaricum.
Have a look for a much different shaped 6 pointed miniature shield from Opatów, Woj. Czestochowa, grave 49. (T. Reyman, Dwa groby z okresu rzymskiego w Opatowie, pow. czestochowski. - Swiatowit 18, 1947, 166-169; Inventaria Archaeologica, Pologne IV, 1960, Pl. 29.). In fact this burial site dates B2/C1 - D, which too drops this object out of question.

Evidence for germanic hexagon shields are indeed very scarce, except for roman depictions. The few archaeological remains of complete shields tend more towards a barrel form. The only pre roman shields known from northern europe are from Hjortspring, Denmark. which are more retangular with rounded edges or curved top and bottom.
I doubt that there is any evidence for any hexagonal shield form at least the germanic part of the barbaricum.

cheers

Robert
Robert Brosch
www.chasuari.de">www.chasuari.de
Germanic warriors of 1st ct. AD

www.comitatus.eu">www.comitatus.eu
Network of germanic Reenactors of 1st ct. AD
Quote:after J. Andrzejowski this urne grave 141B dates B2a (last quarter 1st ct AD).
Thank you! Let us be now more precise then Smile 80 A.D. - 120 A.D. So B2a can include either the end of the first, and the beginning of the second century. Actually, to be honest, comparison of dates expressed in years (absolute chronology) and culture phases (relative chronology) is always questionable. Thank you once more.

Quote: So it isn´t a prove for preroman usage of this shield form.
Of course! It's obvious Smile . Just fine example of barbarian imagination of "pure" hexagonal shield.

Quote:Nevertheless it gives some ideas of the basic shield construction.
The best I know in the matter of speaking.

Quote:Have a look for a much different shaped 6 pointed miniature shield from Opatów, Woj. Czestochowa, grave 49.
Yes, very strange miniature, found with chainmail bransolete (?) and miniature tools.
Opatow miniature is not of "true" hexagonal type. It would be good to show it (see atachment, bad quality, cellular phone, quick shot - sorry).
Wojciech Wasiak (Votava)
HARJIS / DAGOME
Votava,
you were faster then me. Thanks for posting the picture!
Looks uncommon indeed, but someone should give it a try. No doubt it shows a shield, since there is a horizontal grip on the back side. And moreover it follows the basic design of the Nadkole shield. I think for those little rivet lines on the front sides, there is no real parallel (in form of real rivets in that number in any urn grave I saw by now) and so maybe displaying decorative lines or shield edging. Painting a reconstrustion in this way could be interesting. I fact, it seems to be the only germanic hint on shield decoration!
The horizontal grip position is important, too. In my group, we mostly have them in the same position, which makes the shield more handy. But our few riders prefer a vertical grip to have better control of the reins.

There is an urn grave from Harsefeld, North Germany (Nr. 26, ) with silver shield edging pieces suggsting strange angles of the shield sides. But most of aour speciaists are not convinced, that these parts belong to a shield.

Of course you are right with the problems with relative and absolute chronology and LH interpretation, something not easy to explain.

Back to topic.
Are there any sure celtic evidence for preroman hexagonal shields?
Robert Brosch

What about the footsoldiers on the Gundestrup cauldron? I can't recall offhand how clearly hexagonal the shields were, but certainly not oval or round.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Good Idea! Silly me :roll:

Well, from first glance,
[Image: gundestrup.gif]
I would say...hmmm.
Second glance,
[Image: gundestrup.jpg]
...okay, if you like, you can see at least one hexagonal, if questionable because of the not-so-naturalistic depiction. Most shields are of barrel form.
:?
Robert Brosch

Quote:The only pre roman shields known from northern europe are from Hjortspring, Denmark. which are more retangular with rounded edges or curved top and bottom.

A few other examples have been found which have not widely or fully been published. One find is of a leather shield cover from Borremose in Denmark which is shaped like a Hjortspring shield and has been carbon dated to c. 350 BC, making it a contemporary of the Hjortspring equipment. Another, from Vaeebro, also in Denmark, is of an oval wooden shield which can probably be dated to the last century BC or so based on associated pottery finds. The former is totally unpublished, while the latter is apparently published but does not include photographs or drawings (I've not been able to see the publications myself).

Quote:Good Idea! Silly me Rolling Eyes

Well, from first glance,

I would say...hmmm.
Second glance,

...okay, if you like, you can see at least one hexagonal, if questionable because of the not-so-naturalistic depiction. Most shields are of barrel form.

And then we are drawn into the interminable debate about whether the figures depicted here are Germans or otherwise...
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:A few other examples have been found which have not widely or fully been published. One find is of a leather shield cover from Borremose in Denmark which is shaped like a Hjortspring shield and has been carbon dated to c. 350 BC, making it a contemporary of the Hjortspring equipment. Another, from Vaeebro, also in Denmark, is of an oval wooden shield which can probably be dated to the last century BC or so based on associated pottery finds. The former is totally unpublished, while the latter is apparently published but does not include photographs or drawings (I've not been able to see the publications myself).

Now, that sounds most interesting! Where is the Vaeebro find published?
Please keep us informed!
I understand, that Hjortspring is a bit difficult to date. I found different discussions about that. My statement of ca. 150 BC might be wrong.

Quote:And then we are drawn into the interminable debate about whether the figures depicted here are Germans or otherwise...

Hell! No! Tongue

cheers
Robert Brosch

Quote:Now, that sounds most interesting! Where is the Vaeebro find published?
Please keep us informed!
I understand, that Hjortspring is a bit difficult to date. I found different discussions about that. My statement of ca. 150 BC might be wrong.

Both these sources are mentioned in "A Wooden Shield-Boss from Kvärlöv, Scania. Some Remarks on the Weaponry of the Early Pre-Roman Iron Age in Northern Europe and the Origin of the Hjortspring Warrior" by Jes Martens, in [i]â€
Ruben

Hi there and Ave!, so to say...
Just got my registration recently - decision was made mainly based on this particular topic, which I found the most accurate for my own interest and research activity, as well as to share some reference notes, pict. and etc. - usuall stuff.
Hope this brings a fruitfull benefit for all of us, although migration and early med. period is my primary weapon and warefare framework, including protective components such as shields.

Here it is, the famuous Vaedebro shield, taken from:

ILKJÆR J.
2001 Illerup Ådal - Die Schielde (Textband), Jutland Archaeological Society Pub. XXV:9, Mosegård.
Regards
M.
Thanks so much for posting that, Myslibor. I had no idea it had been published since the publication I mentioned. Does it mention what the traces of material around the top edge are? Also, are the dots holes? If so, are they presumed to be traces of nailholes securing decoration to the surface of the shield?
Ruben