Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd Question, But
Do any of you know who might make subligaca? If not someone who makes them, is there anyone who can provide me with a pattern for one?

Thanks,
Hugh
Patterns are discussed here and here.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Take a look at a Tarzan movie and you'll be on the right track. Yes,basically a loincloth.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Well, I know that I have read of a sort of bikini-style brief with ties at the sides, but that does not seem terribly useful for a man and the idea of a loincloth seems rather cumbersome, especially if the person is wearing femenalia or braccae. I do, now, remember reading in one of the Colleen McCullough books on Rome that it was her opinion that use of a subligacum of any sort while wearing a toga would have required a slave to help the man empty his bladder. She felt that, especially in the Republic, morality and a man's sense of self would have militated against this.

In any case, thanks for the guidance.
Most of the time feminalia were not worn. Considered barbaric and effeminate.
Why would this be any harder than our current system? :wink:
And Romans weren't shy about such things. Bathrooms were quite public-no stalls,etc. "Hey, Publius, pass me that sponge, will you?"
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
A wrapped breechcloth works fine.
Quote:Most of the time feminalia were not worn. Considered barbaric and effeminate.
Why would this be any harder than our current system? :wink:
And Romans weren't shy about such things. Bathrooms were quite public-no stalls,etc. "Hey, Publius, pass me that sponge, will you?"
Really? Tell the Legions that up on the Rhenus Limes or tell the auxilliaries along Hadrian's Wall during the winter months. Tell the auxilliary cavalry that.
:wink: I don't have to tell them, they already know it.
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens