Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The subject matter of Romanarmy.com/RATv3
Quote:I think a repeat of the director links near the bottom of each page would be helpful. Why scroll all the way to the topic just to perform some other function

You might try pressing the "home" button on your keyboard. Works for me.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Keep it as is...it is the reason why I have stuck around for so long...it has ROMANITAS! :wink:
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
I'd say no to the Middle Ages stuff but other civilizations that Rome and Her army interacted with would be good to discuss. And maybe something about general Roman living and Virtues.

Tasia
++++++++++++++
Quinta Livia Anastasia
aka stace kelsey
I like the idea that we currently have in the fora, sections on Enemies and Allies, Civ Talk, and the Combat Sports sections. These are not the military, but are related to the life that surrounds the military. Without the Enemies & Allies we'd have no one to fight against (except for the many civil wars). It takes civilians to weave and dye our clothes, mine our iron, sew grain to feed us, etc. And the gladiators are often organized to display historical battles for the ordinary citizenry. All of this is also part of the better way of Roman life which we attempt to impress on the barbarians by conquering them, no?

I personally would like to see some food recipes, dying processes, etc. added into the how-to section.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
What we currently offer on RAT I think is just enough for all of us to handle. If we started including "all" civilizations, I'm afraid it will become less of "Roman Army" in "Roman Army Talk" - The Roman Army and related military [discussion] I think should be the *primary* focus of this board, but we do include other aspects that of course mutually support the Army, much as it did historically. Greek information certainly has connections to Rome, as does Celtic et cetera - both of which are covered in their respective sections on this board. All aspects of Civilian and other such topics are also covered on this board as well.

If someone(s) wanted to have a board to include more cultures and study, I'd suggest the creation of a seperate board, but which can be mutually interactive with RAT(v3)...Something like "Ancient Warfare Talk" or some such.

Honestly, if RAT was to include any more subject matter, I'd have a hard time keeping up with all of the discussion, and I believe it would become "too busy", and as I mentioned above, it would take away from the focus of the Roman aspect.

Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
it is after all ROMAN army talk, so the emphasis should remain, and ofcourse the other aspects of the site all feed into the soldier and the army even if indirectly, politics, private life, what not....rome was citizen soldiers from the earliest days. so excatly as it is is good and by the poles seems to be the general consensus. though as stated in other posts i am about intensifying the role of the site in regards to utility and networking, and of course a northamerican chapter maybe that someone with greater know how than my own could acquire us grants and government funding for education, events, etc....all kinds of lame ass organizations get it every year for lesser academic ends, lol. maybe thats why we have a 300trillion dollar deficit? hmmm too bad it didnt ever finance a history class for me or a trip to pompeii...maybe the next trillion could?
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
I voted to keep it as is, but no army exists in a vacuum. I think it is impossible to separate the Roman army from Roman society and culture, just as it is impossible to separate it from consideration of the enemies it faced.

I do think that any expansion into other areas, such as Greece, North Africa, and the Mideast should be limited to the Roman era, specifically starting at the time of significant contact between the Romans and any other culture. For example, the military establishments of Hellenistic culture are appropriate because the Romans fought them, but the military establishments of the Peloponnisian War are not.
Ross Martinek

Insert clever and pithy comment here.
D'oh! I didn't see this thread.

Anyhoo, I liked Option 2 and voted for it.

Then I saw what others have written here and I'm nervous about my posting on another thread: link from old RAT

(Only kidding - no I'm not).

Cheers
:wink:
Spurius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
"Life is still worthwhile if you just smile."
(Turner, Parsons, Chaplin)
You can't talk just about the Roman Army without necessarily discussing the other factors like civilizations and other Roman factors that had an impact. I have found some great discussions here and learned a great deal. A huge thank you to all of the hard working individuals that make this a success.
Gaius Aurelius Bassus
(MKA: Winter Guite)