Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Law & Arson
Salvete!

I have hit upon a query after a discussion with a friend. You see, my sources, which includes History Channel, Discovery Civilization, and various textbooks used in school, indicate that arsonists were sentenced to death by burning. My friend, who failed to cite sources, claims to recall reading that such punishments were only in the case of a fire leading to the death of a person, whereas a simply fire that "merely" destroyed a building would lead to less strict punishment, such as flogging, crusifiction, etc.

Do anyone have more reliable info? I'd like to get this one settled for good or ill.
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
Incendium (note the difference between accidental and malicious arson, and copy and paste the whole link):

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/R ... ndium.html
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Many thanks! Smile

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

Quote: less strict punishment, such as flogging, crusifiction, etc.

I'm not sure I'd consider crucifixion less strict than death Yikes. Confusedhock:
Better not to burn anything down.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
To continue the discussion, how would they treat a pyromaniac? After all, he's "bound" to light something up, and perhaps get caught. I'm assuming it would be treated as malicious arson?

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

In the city of Rome itself, arson was among the most serious crimes because it endangered the whole community. Rome was a firetrap. There were few free-standing buildings and the streets were extremely narrow so fires spread quickly. Consequently, the citizenry took a dim view of anyone who would deliberatle set a building ablaze.
Pecunia non olet