Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boardgames
Lots of discussion here about miniatures and computer games, but no talk of board games. Am I the only grognard left? I have played many of GMT's Great Battles History Games, and they are very good. Can anyone here recommend another game or series?
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
Greetings!

I used to play Eagles by GDW (later republished by Avalon Hill as Caesar's Legions) and enjoyed it. Still have their other Roman game Pharsalus but have never played it (still unpunched). These are similar to the GMT line but on an operational level rather than tactical.

Also have a copy of AH's Siege of Jerusalem and it too is a fun game. Some time ago I spoke to the guys at GMT about doing a new version of this battle (giving it the "GMT Treatment") and they seemed receptive to the idea, but nothing has come of it.

Likewise I contacted Mr. Berg about doing an update of his popular game Druid, but he doubted GMT would consider it a profitable venture.

Too bad -- I think GMT could publish a series of linked games (or a main game system with expansion sets) based upon the Decade Of Turmoil that was the 60's. What with major revolts in both the East & the West and civil war during the Year of the Four Emperors it could make for quite a series of games. Given the GMT Treatment they could be both fun to play and impressive just to look at.

Otherwise the current hit around our house is that old war horse Conquest Of The Empire by Milton Bradley. In fact we are probably going to play tonight -- my grandson loves to be Egypt and from that strong province he usually wins. :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Used to play Imperium Romanum II and liked it.
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-
Recently received (for review) Athens and Sparta from Columbia Games, about the Peloponnesian war. Seems nice, but I still need to play it.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
What's the gameplay like Jasper?

Too bad they don't have have an "Axis and Allies" type of game for Rome and XXXX". That'd be great.

Legion: TBD
I dunno yet. I need to find a nut to play it with me. Seems easy enough to learn though, which is good. Boardgames of the strategical or tactical persuasion sometimes come with very intimidating rulebooks in fine print.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Too bad they don't have have an "Axis and Allies" type of game for Rome and XXXX". That'd be great.

Conquest Of The Empire is similar to Axis & Allies though somewhat simpler considering you not playing over the entire globe nor using aircraft etc. It is more akin to Imperium II but aimed at simple "family" play rather than hardcore wargaming.

There is a new edition of Conquest out from Eagle Games that adds a few new wrinkles to that old War Horse -- have not played it so can not say if the additions are improvements or just window dressing.

http://www.eaglegames.net/ProductDetail ... ode=EGL060

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Narukami, thanks for the link. I used to play board games alot and enjoyed them. Will have to start again.

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
My pleasure sir. Big Grin

They make for a great break from video/computer games and for an amusing evening win or lose.

In one game my grandson Kalani announced "I'm attacking" and proceeded to invade my home province with but one ship and a handful of troops -- And by the gods (and the luck of the dice) he won. Confusedhock: :oops:

As Augustus said (in episode two of I Claudius) "These dice have nothing but sixes in them. Oh roll again."

Hope you enjoy the game Maius!

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Thanks Narukami, i will. Smile

I remember playing Risk years back, not as sophisticated as others i know.
There would be about five or six of us who would start playing on a Saturday night and we would play all night long. lots of fun! It was one of my favorate games.

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
I had a horrible (tons of rules) game:
Iulius Caesar, by SPI...

I think it can make the people drive mad, like Chtulu stuff. :roll:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Lots of good suggestions. Thanks guys. Iagoba, I had and still have a lot of SPI games. And you are right, they have long complicated rules!
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
Greetings!

Has any member of our forum played this game system yet?

GMT Games: Commands & Colors Ancients

and expansions

#1 Greece And The Eastern Kingdoms
#2 Rome And The Barbarians
#3 The Roman Civil War

These are not traditional 'map & counter' nor Axis & Allies miniatures on a map board games but a combination using a hex game board with block units.

Battles are supposed to play in an hour or less.

If anyone has played these games what are your thoughts?

The look of the game?
The playability?
The fun factor?

Thanks!

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:
Magnus:d45u04yj Wrote:Too bad they don't have have an "Axis and Allies" type of game for Rome and XXXX". That'd be great.

Conquest Of The Empire is similar to Axis & Allies though somewhat simpler considering you not playing over the entire globe nor using aircraft etc. It is more akin to Imperium II but aimed at simple "family" play rather than hardcore wargaming.

There is a new edition of Conquest out from Eagle Games that adds a few new wrinkles to that old War Horse -- have not played it so can not say if the additions are improvements or just window dressing.

http://www.eaglegames.net/ProductDetail ... ode=EGL060

Narukami

Conquest of the Empire is a really fun game. It is a lot like axis and allies, with some different parts, like senator cards and such. It is fun though.

Andy
Andy Pierucci
Stockton, California USA
Hannibal: Rome versus Carthage - probably the best Ancient wargame ever developed - has just been republished in a new edition. Get it - you won't regret it (unless they ship it through DHL... but that's another story).

Republic of Rome is also a great game, up for being republished by the same company in the near future.
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boardgames and solitaire wargames jmkinki 7 6,829 04-16-2017, 07:18 PM
Last Post: flavioezio
  Ancient Rome Boardgames PunkReaper 5 4,066 05-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Severus
  Roman boardgames JRSCline 31 6,307 12-07-2003, 10:05 AM
Last Post: JRSCline