Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buried with her boots on - Roman burial in Wessex
Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum is to take delivery of a spectacular Roman stone coffin unearthed by Wessex Archaeology in 2007.

[Image: 2007_5419.jpg]

The limestone coffin, weighing three metric tonnes was discovered as part of the excavation of a Roman cemetery containing over 200 burials next to a substantial Roman settlement on Boscombe Down.

When archaeologists lifted the lid off the coffin they were surprised to discover that it had not filled with soil. Instead, they looked down on the skeleton of a woman who was cradling a young child in her arms.

A unique environment had been created inside the coffin, which had slowed down the processes of decay so that, even after 1,800 years, the woman’s deer skin slippers still survived.

The woman's deerskin slippers. © Wessex Archaeology
[Image: 2007_5420.jpg]

The slippers had cork insoles and a fur lining and are the best-preserved examples in Britain of this sort of luxury shoe, which was imported from the Mediterranean. The child was buried wearing calfskin shoes, which are unique in Britain.

The woman also wore a necklace of Whitby jet round her neck, and on her right ankle was a bronze bangle. By her head was a small lustrous pot imported from France, which would have contained drink for her journey to the next world.

“The preservation of the shoes is remarkable,â€
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I wonder if they'll show us a better picture of the shoes? That would be most interesting!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Boscombe Down isn't very far from me, same with the Salisbury Museum. If I find at any more info/photos I'll add it here.

My village has been populated since prehistoric times so I'm not surprised they unearth the odd impressive thing in this area. There's meant to be a Roman road somewhere near my house but think it's all overgrown... haven't been able to find the website that mentioned it.
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buried in 61 AD - Colchester Hoard Vindex 1 988 09-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Burial of roman teenager in modern London gaius marcius1 3 1,954 12-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Last Post: gaius marcius1