Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lorica top shoulder plates
I have posted this elsewhere. I am uncertain as to which way round to put the top shoulder plates of my lorica. Is it the pointed side to the neck or away from the neck. Ive seen reenactores with them both ways round.
I have been scanning the webb seeking actual evidence as relics but there is only a few rusted bits on the Corbridge site.
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Dying aint much of a living.
Quote:I have posted this elsewhere. I am uncertain as to which way round to put the top shoulder plates of my lorica. Is it the pointed side to the neck or away from the neck. Ive seen reenactores with them both ways round.
I have been scanning the webb seeking actual evidence as relics but there is only a few rusted bits on the Corbridge site.

I believe on the original finds the points were facing in.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:
muskitear:3q635yr1 Wrote:I have posted this elsewhere. I am uncertain as to which way round to put the top shoulder plates of my lorica. Is it the pointed side to the neck or away from the neck. Ive seen reenactores with them both ways round.

I believe on the original finds the points were facing in.

Vale,
Are they pointing in on yours??
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

I believe they've been found pointing both in and out.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I believe they've been found pointing both in and out.

I believe you are correct, Jim.

I haven't got those points on my type A Corbridge. Smile

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Tarbicus\\n[quote]I believe they've been found pointing both in and out.[/quoteTitus Sabatinus's impression page one Reenac/constr shows him and his brother with them pointing out.
I have opted to fit them pointing in as I have seen more like that.
Also where can you find actual pictures of the artifacts
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

When I read http://www.larp.com/legioxx/lorica.html I get the impression that these points were a Corbridge B thing. Is this correct? I realize that reality isn't as clear cut as the typology, but as an archaeologist I need typology, otherwise I go insane. :lol:

Excellent info on the Lorica Segmentata can be found in these books:

[Image: smallcover.jpg]

[Image: cover2.jpg]

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Mr. Bishop's book is probably just what is needed, but Amazon lists is for over 230USD, so it might have to wait on the wish list for a while.

Pro nunc pecunia non habeo.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
As I understand it from Bishop and Matt Amt, the points point inwards/towards the neck, BUT, they appear to be of Corbridge B and C types, not for A, which apparently were cut straight.

So, you could do a fairly easy modification by trimming off the points on the plates, "retrofitting" them to the type A style - At the same time, if it's a Deepeeka piece, you can replace the rivets to be more accurate and with a better leather harness (although they may have improved their leather quality since the one I got a few years ago? Mine fell apart after a month of use) ~ Likewise you can cut down the shoulder plates to be more narrow - from what we can tell, the plates should only extend to the end of the shoulders - not down to your elbows. (typically that will likely mean 2 inch wide plates) - just make sure to triple-check your measurements before you cut!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:Mr. Bishop's book is probably just what is needed, but Amazon lists is for over 230USD, so it might have to wait on the wish list for a while.

You might try these folks, they appear to still have volume I:
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ ... Result/Yes

I've found them to be an excellent company.
C. Apollonius Priscus/Alan Homola
Thanks for the imput folks.
I must admit the Corbridge A.B.C. thing has me foxed a bit I know the later sets had brass hooks.
As previously said, Mine is an early deepeeka which had too many shoulder plates of the same width and length and the top plates were too narrow. All the hinges were total crap. I have literally built the top half from scratch with new hinges made by a dealer here in the UK.
I copied the lorica from the Men-at-arms No46 book page 27. I guess this must be a Type A because it has no hooks just straps same as mine.
Im going to nail it together and hope for the best.
The only outfit close to me is the II Augusta and I hope they turn up at the Gladiator Games down my way in May 2008 and they can put me right.
I have been reenacting 30yrs WW1 WW2 (jumped outa planes too) Victorian Medieval and have always had the kit right no matter the costs
but this scares the s*** outa me. Big Grin
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Lorica Segmentata Vol II: P. 123 has a Corbridge find (21) with the upper SG's point directed away from the neck, and P. 125 has another Corbridge find with the upper SG's point directed toward the neck (31).

But Mike Bishop had this to say in 2005:
http://www.romanarmy.nl/rat/viewtopic.p ... 1caa#20233

Soooo, who knows? Do what you want. It's not like they were rigorously measured or approved, or even consistently a particularly type at all times.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I know mine were made with the points outwards, for a C, which to me is cool and has that asthetic (heres where I get a liitle fuzzy on my grammer) :roll: logic to me that the point inwards dont....so I would imagine it was possibly who ever put them together at the time and what they felt .... like you say, who knows! I belive the armourer who made it said they had been found like that so it is good enough for me.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well boys Ive been out into the garage and nailed it together. Points INWARD. They do in fact hide the top rivet better this way. Also, When assmbling the whole thing on my dummy (not the wife) over the subermalis the pads kick the shoulders up and the whole thing sits flush allowing the outer plates to hang down nicely. As soon as I can figure out my camera/pc hook up I will post a picture Big Grin .
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Ah well, even with the point out , the rivet is covered on the one i have.

Looking forward to your pictures.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata shoulder width FlexBravo 5 2,033 03-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Magnus
  Lorica Segmentata Girdle Plates problem Grumio 56 9,477 03-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Last Post: marsvigilia