Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preliminary Mainz Caliga Pattern
Lee, the sole of the shoe seems a little narrow. Do you cut them that way intentionally so the sides wrap around as the foot rounds out to its widest? I have a "D" width foot, and I predict my use of the pattern you've drawn would have to be altered somewhat, of course. But the question is, does the sole the way you construct this particular shoe actually make a smaller "footprint" than the foot itself would?

Does that make sense? :? ?:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Lee, the sole of the shoe seems a little narrow. Do you cut them that way intentionally so the sides wrap around
I have narrow feet, a C width, so you would have to widen the pattern. I have a friend who has EE wide feet. I'm currently making a pair of caligae for him and I had to go through several iterations of widening and magnifying the Valkenburg pattern for him. It has worked out though and I will soon have pictures to share.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Even so, am I concluding correctly that the "footprint" is more like the shape of the hard sole than the "shadow print" of the foot?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:does the sole the way you construct this particular shoe actually make a smaller "footprint" than the foot itself would

Yes, the footprint of the shoe maybe smaller than the foot itself, but for me, not by much. You want the heel to be firmerly locked in place and the best way that I see to achieve this is to have the leather wrap around the foot.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
That is a conclusion we have come to as well!
My caligae, while very nicely made, for some reason came with a sole about an inch or 2 longer than my foot, and it has proved to be a problem, as you can imagine!

I am hoping my next pair will be wrap around too!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
OK Resurrecting a three year old thread in some forums is grounds for banning and at he very least trolling. I hope that is not the case here.

Several questions.

I notice several folks are punching holes in straps near the toes that I do not see in drawings of the originals nor in photos of the originals. Am I missing something?

There are a few drawings of "toe straps" that have a decorative clover leaf on them and appear to be all by themselves with no holes at all. Could these just be simply captured by the laces and a decorative element? I also see a few drawings of single pairs of straps with no apparent way to lace them into the boot. Is there any evidence these were longer or also had decorative elements that were woven into the lacing?

I have noted that the soles of the originals seem very narrow yet most are making them rather wide and long. I have only done 2 pair of caliga but both seem to be rather ill fitting without socks due to the fact they do not properly hug the foot.

I am working on a pair with Vibram soles(and perhaps a pair with hobnails) so I can wear them daily in the summer. People tend to get sort of angry when you wear hobnails on their wood floors and grocery stores take a dim view of you skating around the isles. So although it will not be a historical reconstruction I will be using historical as possible techniques with the exception of the soles.

Any comments are appreciated.
Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mainz revisited - low caliga no.16 Martin Moser 6 1,893 05-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  Affordable Mainz pattern Gladius Uhrisa 1 1,531 06-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Magnus
  Mainz Caliga Pattern #3 Neuraleanus 22 7,441 02-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Neuraleanus