Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Greaves Project
Well, here's what I have so far. Original armourer is unknown, all I know is that he was an SCA armourer. The greaves then were sent to Matt Lukes for a bit of extra dishing on the calf areas. The insides are now black, and one has just underwent some polishing from 400 grit to 1500 grit sandpaper, with a finish buff of autosol polishing compound.

Now all I have to do is make the suspension loops and mounts, and line the back with some brown felt I have, then ditto to the other one.

Just wondering, most centurion style greaves I have seen lack the full ankle protection that mine have which closer resembles their greek counterparts. Any artwork or finds that look closer to mine that are dated to a roman era?

Legion: TBD
Hey looking purdy! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
hello Matt, different topic lol great greaves, are you going to pad them or just line them. mine are hammered from sheet brass, i rolled the edges, dished out the knee area and have left a hammered finish. As in yours, mine have the ankle protection but as i am using padding on mine the greaves are not tight fitting to the leg, i have actually done it this way to enable a comfortable fit at the knee, once again well done
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
Thanks Martin! I think I'm going to line them with some felt, and that's it. They're a decent fit now without any strapping, so i imagine the felt will make them a bit snug.

You should post some pics of yours, they sound pretty cool!

lol ah Matt, to be young and understand the PC. when i have sussed the finer points of loading pics onto the pc then i will post, unfortunately as you will see, most of my posts have been at unusual times, thats because for the last week i have been on night shifts and posting from work, rather bad of me :twisted: as soon as i can down load some pics at home i will, very soon i hope
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
It's actually pretty easy, you can upload them to RAT. There's an "add attachment" button when you hit "post reply" (not the quick response at the bottom). You can then pick the pictures you want to upload into your reply and whammo, you're done!

back on night shift again, will try that Matt, hopefully i will be able post over this weekend. Heres a poser for you, you think centurion greaves were for decoration or practical, as i said before i will use mine with padding (our group are full contact anyway) as well as to look good lol there seem to be a lot of re-enactors out there with the close fitting as opposed to the padded variety of greave both look good to me. Wouldn't you benefit (purely for comfort) from a little padding getting your leg to fit into a greave takes a lot of doing lol
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
Hahaha, I'd pad it, but I'm so bow legged that they probably wouldn't fit anymore lol.

I thinkt he centurion greaves were practical, but also highly decorated. Especially leading from the front, they'd need it...although, it's always possible they had 2 sets...I won't go there though. :wink:

lol good one bud, yep better not go there or we have to ask wether all his extra kit was carried by his hoss and that will start another debate as to wether centurions rode horses into combat or just to travel lol
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
Quote:Hahaha, I'd pad it, but I'm so bow legged that they probably wouldn't fit anymore lol.

Bow legged? Sounds like it's time to trade in those Centurion greaves for the Cav sort.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Hehehe, well I'm not that bad...but it's a snug fit.

Magnus
In case you might be interested, the original manufacturer of the greaves was Bill Fedun.
www.southtower.on.ca/map.html
[email protected]
Rustius Noricus/Robert
heres one i done earlier............. well its one of my greaves under construction, i am hoping the pics will come out. if they do then i will xplain....... the greaves were cut out of brass sheet, initially i tried applied edging of copper tube but found out that it was fairly easy to turn the brass on its self around the edge, so this i have done, the hammering process is currently shaping the greave well, i am just using a conventional hammer and a leather makers hammer to shape. the knee cap area is a bit low so i will enlarge it and i need to hammer shape to the 'muscle' areas each side of the leg.i quite like the hammered finish so i will tidy it up a bit but leave the finished greaves as hammered and not smooth, this also covers several sins in the metal forming process lol
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
well that didnt work, think i will use words only sorry
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
Sounds impressive, anyway! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel