Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invasio Barbororum: Flagellum Dei; Late Roman BI Mod
Salve gents, been a while!

I know there are many late-roman army scholars as well as interested parties here at RAT and many have RTW and Barbarian Invasion expansion.

Ramon Gonzales y Garcia, a modder at the twcenter, has released IBFD some time ago. The amount of research in this mod is astounding. While I won't claim it is 100% accurate, it comes VERY close, and also exhibits great playability. I've never seen this sort of historical yet fun balance so well done.

There are some of us getting together groups to play it online in a 'clan' type format. If any here are online MP veterans, you'll know that 'clans' generally make up groups of young, foul mouthed kids who are little more than mobsters in the ol gaming lobbies. This is different, based on my experience with Napoleonic 2: TW clans who are generally historically curious and somewhat knowledgeable people gathered to 'fight' under a common banner. In N2 we have about 6 active clans representing different nations during the Nappy era, and are striving to duplicate that with the Late Roman Era.

While the quality is by no means up to snuff with reenacting, it's still a fun and free way to live out some virtual lives as Roman (or Hun, or Vandal, or Saxon, and so on so forth) soldiers. Single-player campaigns are fun, but apart from you there is no gratification for playing well, and beating an AI Army is only so fun... playing with a group against another adds depth and fun to the game never before experienced. And as was stated as well on the EB thread below, reenacting and gaming fulfill different purposes. This will allow you to play 3v3 or even 4v4 online battles with a team in whatever format you choose (right now I am getting one going for the Western Roman Empire, and we are going with historical army setups). It can be a loose collection of friends or a more army style organization, but no matter what, it will be fun.

Right now I am playing IBFD 7.0 patched (upgraded) to 7.03.

The IBFD site is

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113

and the 'clan' we have started I just set up a forum for,

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Domesticus_Tutor/index.php

It's not much but it's a start. If anyone is interested I hope to see you in the gamespy lobby sometime with us playing. We are going to get a timezone chart soon to know when each other can play.

If you want to represent a Frank army, or other faction other than Roman, set up a 'clan' and recruit others to join you so we can get some large, epic ca. 400 AD battles going!
"Marcus Hortensius Castus"
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III
Hi Everybody,

You will also find on the Invasio Barbarorum site two submods.

One is called Imperium Julianorum and is based around the exploits of the Emperor Julian, with one campaign (main one) based on him becoming sole emperor in 361AD and his task in invading the Sassanid Empire, and the other in 355AD which sees Julian in Gaul as Caesar defending Gaul from the Germanic tribes.

The other submod is Invasio Barbarorum Flagellum Dei VII. It is based on the desperate situation the Roman Empire faced from the barbarian invasions and their newly established kingdoms in the fifth century.

It contains two campaigns, the first one(main) starts in 463AD. It depicts the Western Roman Empire on its final leg. Many of the invading Barbarians had established kingdoms within the Roman Empire. The second campaign(provincial) starts in 432AD and portrays the Hunnic invasion and threat to the civilized world.

So there is a good selection to choose from.

Cheers

Geoff N
Hi all

I downloaded this mod las week, and I like it!

Units have a quite accurate look, but I don't know very much about the late roman empire. If I can, next year I would like to start gathering information about this period and start building my own late roman kit if I can finish my hellenic one :lol:

Well, about the mod, there is a lot of different kinds of units (I have only played with romans) and I must say that I really don't know how to use differents troops. And there are regional troops too, like ilirians auxiliars, that only can be recluted in their own provinces. It is a very difficult campaign, without money, plenty of enemies... but it looks very good mod.

I feel a bit strange using roman armies, because I always use greek or hellenic armies, and it is very different
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Quote:Units have a quite accurate look, but I don't know very much about the late roman empire.
Can you post a screen image?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I have the mod, Robert.

What would you like to see ? All things Roman ? Smile

The Eastern and Western Empires have some unique units.

The shield designs are stunningly accurate - at least some that I recognize.

~Theo
Jaime
Well, a few shots of that, and units or something, just to give an idea..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
of course, here are some pics:

[Image: skirmishersdriveninqw4.th.jpg] [Image: fallingbackbeforetheenemw6.th.jpg] [Image: 3startbitkegr7nu7.th.jpg]

If you want a screen of some particular unit I can get all that you want this weekend
Javier Sánchez

Thanks Javier, is this general IBFD stuff or do the submods look different?

Looks good to me!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
There are also new battlefield locations.

Like "Palestine" (arid, hilly, terrean), "Eastern Europe," "Spain" and "Volga Steppe" plus a few more.

I'll post some screens when I get chance.

~Theo
Jaime
I haven't played barbarian invasion for some time, but this looks interesting!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
All of this runs on RTW? Or RTW and BI? And can I still cheat and create 'clibinarii' or 'elephants' wherever I please? (my son of 7 wants to know).

Right now my Sassanid cavalry is besieging the only British town in Scotland, and the last Celtic town in Ireland. The rest of the map is blue, all the word is Zoroastrian. My only activity is fighting about 7 rebel armies each turn (it is 463 AD), and I want every town to have every possibly building.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
It needs Barbarian Invasion, I have Gold Edition of Rome total war and I Have installed the mod in the main directory of the game.

The installation program of IB:FD creates a shortcut on your desktop that allows you to play the mod. you can still play normal Barbarian Invasion if you click its own shortcut, I mean the installation of the mod does not replace the normal version.

I know clibinarii can be created but I really don't know if they can be created in one specific region or in all the map. There are basic troops that can be created everywhere, but others only in some places.

an image of sassanids heavy cavalry

[Image: 5napadsasanidazr4rq4.th.jpg]
Javier Sánchez

Glad ya'll like it-Ramon Gonzales y Garcia has spent years on it, and I was astounded at how great the units looked given the RTW limitations!

The heavy cavalry and infantry units can be recruited in various AOR's (Areas of Recruitment) depending upon the size of the city. WRE campaign is tough, if you like Rome and want a little easier of a time I'd go with ERE; tougher than nails, as you have to hold off Sassanid Persia and the Huns from the get go, but you have more income than the WRE.

They are currently working on a submod of IBFD that will span the RTW/BI timeframe (RTW ends in theory in 200 AD, while BI starts in 360 if you play vanilla, 410 if you play IBFD methinks), going from the end of the 'hollywood' legions in Marcus Arelianus (sp? sorry...) time (270 +/-) to the dark ages. Probably will be a while till it's out, but it will probably have the same level of accuracy IBFD is known for.

EDIT: Here's some links to screenshots that are too big to post here:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... -19-60.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... -40-31.jpg

Auxilia Cohort taking on Goths at a Bridge in Italy:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... Bridge.jpg

Constantius the Usurper's army advances on Rome:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... onRome.jpg

Constantius enters under one of Rome's Triumphal Archs:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... riumph.jpg

Foederati Cavalry mingle menacingly with the Franks in Northern Gaul, sometime around 420 AD:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... herear.jpg
"Marcus Hortensius Castus"
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III
Quote:And can I still cheat and create 'clibinarii' or 'elephants' wherever I please? (my son of 7 wants to know).

Yes. Most changes are purely cosmetic.

Quote:Right now my Sassanid cavalry is besieging the only British town in Scotland, and the last Celtic town in Ireland.

Well, now you can fight at Stonehenge (see photos below) Big Grin Hanging Gardens of Babylon, Mausoleum of Helicarnarssus, and the Pyramids of Giza.

Ok, what you've been waiting for :
Horton III,

Nice screenshots Smile

~Theo
Jaime
OK guys, I wants it, I wants it all....

PM me please with instructions. I'm on the IBFD forum but can't find my way around.
Is there a basic download? A simple install guide? Can I use all the mods or must I insall each seperately?

So I first install the IBFD (link?), and then one of the mods or both (link?)?
I've read the Player Help: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97916
How do I make sure I have BI v1.6? (link?)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The End of an Era. Invasio Barbarorum Tournament. BroskiDerpman 5 2,604 02-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Proximus
  RTW Invasio Barbarorum Flagellum Dei Natuspardo 0 3,125 02-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Natuspardo
  RTW - BI:Invasio Barbarorum:Flegellum Dei - Anyone tried it? Thiudareiks Flavius 0 1,271 06-27-2006, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Thiudareiks Flavius