Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good pictures of Carthaginian warships?
Hi you all,
I need a few (or at least one) good pictures of Carthaginian warships, used by Hamilcar and/or Hannibal. I'm looking for something of high resolution, and you have to see the ram clearly. I've been looking on Google, with no good results, so I thought you might have some?

(Oh yeah, I need to have it within three days. Tongue )

Thanks already!
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
This may be very difficult Sander. I don't recollect ever having seen an ancient representation of a Carthaginian warship. I could be wrong of course. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Yes, there's a prow on several stelae from Carthage.

Hours-Miédan, M. 1951. "Les représentations figurées sur les stèles de
Carthage," in Cahiers de Byrsa 1, Paris, pp. 15–160.

This is the only image I could find online, as I don't have access to my own computer at the moment:
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Thanks for that, but -mea culpa- I actually need a drawing. A reconstruction on paper. Tongue That's maybe easier to find. (was my first thought, but no, oh, definetly no)
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Sander,

I believe that all you really need to find is a drawing/reconstruction of a larger Roman vessel. The Romans ripped off a beached example of a Carthaginian "Quint" to make there own. Find a drawing of a Roman five, ignore the Corvus if present, and substitute a Carthaginian prow design like the one that Dan shows above and you are there. And of course ignore any other "roman" decorations/markings.

This will work best if you go with a Republican period vessel. Although I am not aware of any major design changes made even a couple of centuries into the Empire. It will just be harder to find the pictures as the larger vessels tended to be used less and less over time.

Best Wishes in whatever your endeavor.

Cordially,

Michael
Mediocris Ventvs Qvod Seqvax Maris

Michael
I was thinking the same, and those pictures weren't that difficult to find. But it was worth trying.
It's not even needed to change the pictures, because it's just to give an impression to my classmates how an ancient warship with ram looked like. (something for school Smile ) If I'd found a picture of a Carthaginian ship it would be nice, but not necessary.
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Quote:Hi you all,
I need a few (or at least one) good pictures of Carthaginian warships, used by Hamilcar and/or Hannibal. I'm looking for something of high resolution, and you have to see the ram clearly. I've been looking on Google, with no good results, so I thought you might have some?

(Oh yeah, I need to have it within three days. Tongue )

Thanks already!
Peter Connolley, Greece and Rome at War p. 270 has a reconstruction of the first Massalia ship as a quintireme. He puts scuta along the rail, even though the first Massilia warship was Punic (maybe some of the new ones will be Roman?), but otherwise it should be the same.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
I would say the same. the first roman fleet was mad of identical copies of the cartaginian ships, so aside from the cosmetics, the ywould look very much alike if not identical.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel