Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanic Shield Boss
Quote:[...]
Roded bosses desappeared in the first century A.C. and reappeared in the second century (Przeworsk culture).

Yes, that is interesting. Same situation as in Denmark. Whereas in northern Germany we still have the roded boss well to the end of 1st. ct AD and a bit beyond.

For early Przeworsk you have so many beautiful objects of La Tène influence, it would be shame not to have a go at it. In contrast our north german stuff is so plain and simple formed. The people here seemed to be always a bit industrious and straight forward...

Czes´c´!
Robert Brosch
www.chasuari.de">www.chasuari.de
Germanic warriors of 1st ct. AD

www.comitatus.eu">www.comitatus.eu
Network of germanic Reenactors of 1st ct. AD
Czes´c´! Big Grin Polish - Salut!, or Hello!)

You are right, "Celtic design" is simply unrivalled. Pure art.
Tyniec group (mixed La tene- Przeworsk formation) would be a good idea. A few words about celtic pottery in Poland

Anyway, we are interested in reconstruction of artifacts from grave 24 from Siemiechow. The only one helmet from pre-roman and roman period from Poland. Of course it is of Celtic (eastern Celtic) origin.

Wojciech Slawinski about his interpretation of making a barbaric, roded shield boss:
[Image: umbo_1.gif]
Wojciech Slawinski page
Wojciech Wasiak (Votava)
HARJIS / DAGOME
That technique makes total good sense. I was still trying to make a one piece boss starting with flat sheet. Didn't have any trouble visualizing the cone, but then the cylinder to flange transition had me stumped. The welding doesn't present a terrible problem, just the shaping of that thing. With this fullering and flatting technique, I can see it coming together in my little brain.

I always like to start there before I pick up any tools. Sometimes it takes a very long time to get things organized in my head. A very long time, indeed.

So now to make a hammer that's a flatter on one end, and a fuller on the other. Not very unlike a modern rock hammer, I reckon.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:If I look the the germanic shield bosses made by rudis Kuenstler werkstatt I would say they're out of one piece.

http://www.rudis-kuenstlerwerkstatt.de/ ... m-engl.htm
I would warn everyone to buy these for recosntructions, since the material used to make them is way too thick. The lightest of these shield bosses are from 2mm sheet metal, which still gives them double weight of most Originals.
For steel-weapon-fighting purposes these might make sense, however.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Of course, the other problem is coming up with a blank like the first step in the illustration....

I often wonder how the originals did in combat, if they were so much thinner, and of "inferior strength" metals. They must have been willing to make repairs after a battle.

1mm thick finished would be ok, then?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hi,
from what I have seen and had in my hands and regarding substantial loss by corrosion, I would say they was a norm on thickness. Today people tend to use 2 thickness, because it is easier to form it. 1-1,5mm of thickness is what I prefer and what I observed on originals. Of course, there are exceptions, as one of our metalworkers examined a specimen with 2mm.
I think it depends on they way to make a boss. There was more then one way and the best would be doubtless to make it out of one piece. Slawinski´s technique is surely a possibility, but I heard even of technique of using a cylindric piece of iron and hammer the complete form out.

cheers
Robert Brosch

You can read my article in french "L'équipement militaire des guerriers de la culture de przeworsk et de wielbark au IIe siècle de notre ère" (50 p)
(weapons warriors of przeworsk and wielbark culture in the second century). I talk shield bosses found in Poland. Our site www.limitis.org
Nice site!
Maybe we can work together in the future!

Wow, frenchmen doing teutonic reenactment Confusedhock:

amicalemente

Robert
Robert Brosch

Hi Robert,

With pleasure, we may work together. Our site will be soon in german and english. We can put your site in ours links if you want. We could exchange informations about german people.

Cédric
www.limitis.org
Salut Cédric,

I shot you a PN with my email-adress, did you got it? Another try on coalition of germanic tribes would be nice. It already worked 2000 years ago! Tongue

a bientôt

Robert
Robert Brosch

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time and place for this shield boss? Dan D'Silva 18 1,020 11-25-2023, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  1st Cen. AD Germanic Shield Harjaz 26 13,680 02-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  1st Century Germanic Shield Boss madoc 12 5,728 06-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Last Post: madoc