Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Female Fantasy/Sci-Fi Characters
BTW, John, you bad boy Big Grin
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0008393/photogallery

Libitina, you might also wish to try being the Lady Jessica Atreides from that same version of "Dune". Please see this link:
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0008382/photogallery
Libitina,

How about the very colourful dresses from 'Mists of Avalon'? :wink:
[Image: rmists.jpg]

Quote: My wife and I nearly fell out of our seats we were laughing so hard when Uther bedded Ygraine while dressed in a full suite of plate, removing only his codpiece. Yeuchh!
My favorite scene! Big Grin Somehow, no-one has ever published how the actress felt 'under all that'....

I see this and most Arthurian movies as 'cultural' expressions, that seems to be the easiest thing to do...

Quote: One of these days, someone will actually try to do a serious job of placing Arthur in a post-Roman environment and actually permitting the mythos of the times to play a part.
I told myself that 10 years ago.. One can only hope!

Maybe we'll have to do that ourselves to make it work: RAT Movie Productions!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hugh wrote:
Quote:Graham, I watched "King Arthur" on a borrowed DVD as I would not even spend the money to rent it. And it was just as bad as I had both heard and expected it to be. The low point of all low points was the rather corny replay of the "Miracle of the Ice" from Sergei Eisenstein's classic "Alexander Nevsky."

Have you read my review on Robert's Fectio website?

Quote:One of these days, someone will actually try to do a serious job of placing Arthur in a post-Roman environment and actually permitting the mythos of the times to play a part.

'Arthur of the Britons'' starring Oliver Tobias back in the 1970's had a good stab at this. It is available on DVD Stateside and is being released in the UK soon according to Amazon. Sadly no strong Female characters but you did have Ambrosius running around in 'Roman' kit!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Hugh wrote:
Quote:Graham, I watched "King Arthur" on a borrowed DVD as I would not even spend the money to rent it. And it was just as bad as I had both heard and expected it to be. The low point of all low points was the rather corny replay of the "Miracle of the Ice" from Sergei Eisenstein's classic "Alexander Nevsky."

Have you read my review on Robert's Fectio website?
No, I haven't. If someone would post a link to that site, I should be only too happy to do so.

Quote:One of these days, someone will actually try to do a serious job of placing Arthur in a post-Roman environment and actually permitting the mythos of the times to play a part.

Quote:'Arthur of the Britons'' starring Oliver Tobias back in the 1970's had a good stab at this. It is available on DVD Stateside and is being released in the UK soon according to Amazon. Sadly no strong Female characters but you did have Ambrosius running around in 'Roman' kit!

Graham.
I found it on Amazon.com where it is listed as "King Arthur: The Young Warlord (1975)." I will have to get a copy.
Quote:No, I haven't. If someone would post a link to that site, I should be only too happy to do so.

By all means! Big Grin
A review of 'King Arthur', the movie, by Graham Sumner

Quote:I found it on Amazon.com where it is listed as "King Arthur: The Young Warlord (1975)." I will have to get a copy.

A good choice. It's not the whole series, and it's a bit boyish - all kinds of vagrant-looking characters running around in the undergrowth, a bit like the Robin Hood series of the past decade.

I loved Brian Blessed as king Mark of Cornwall! :wink:

Excalibur, btw, had quite a star cast:
Helen Mirren (Morgana)
Liam Neeson (Gawain)
Patrick Stewart (Leondegrance)
Ciarán Hinds (Lot)
Gabriel Byrne (Utherpendragon)

Charles Boorman also provided not quite unimportant parts for his son Charley (1966-boy Mordred), his daughter Katrine (1958-Igrayne) and daughter Telsche (1957-Lady of the Lake), who received the part of Lady of the Lake because she was the only girl on the set that could hold her breath long enough for the shot..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Thanks, Robert. I had already found your "Face of Arthur" site. I will have to look into it when I have more time as it looks really interesting.

May I offer a suggestion to your book list? It is "An Age of Tyrants: Britain and the Britons, A.D. 400-600" by Christopher A. Snyder (Paperback - Jun 1998). It is a discussion of the progressive disintegration of Britain after the Roman collapse there and it takes its title from, IIRC, Bede. It has an interesting appendix entitled "Appendix A: Arthur and Merlin" which takes an academically detached view of the King Arthur question but notes that, with all of the smoke, there must have been some fire of some sort underneath. He notes that the smoke, the mythos, is so thick as to make finding any coals very difficult if not impossible.
Quote:
Hugh Fuller:3t3d3hh2 Wrote:One of these days, someone will actually try to do a serious job of placing Arthur in a post-Roman environment and actually permitting the mythos of the times to play a part.
I told myself that 10 years ago.. One can only hope!

Maybe we'll have to do that ourselves to make it work: RAT Movie Productions!
There was talk of making a good Bronze Age documentary a few years ago on the Bronze Age Center, but it never went anywhere- there are too few of us, and our interests and geographical locations are too varied. The community here might just have the numbers to get something started ...
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Hi Robert

I have sent you an email with a Plumbata picture attached. Also did you know that Robert Addie who played the older Mordred in Excalibur also played Guy of Gisborne alongside Nickolas Grace as the Sheriff of Nottingham in the TV series "Robin of Sherwood" (1984). As a nod to fans of the series they both have a cameo scene together in Merlin (1999) bringing us full circle back to Arthur!

Keeping in thread, there has been an excellent series on British television about the pioneering work of French colour photographer Albert Khan. He took extensive images around the world of ethnic costume at the beginning of the twentieth century and one image in particular shows Mongolian female costume with an elaborate headdress which was the direct inspiration for the Princess Amidala costume illustrated by Jim.

Greco-Roman costume both male and female also supplied the inspiration for many futuristic Sci-Fi clothing. Many early films and series such as 'Flash Gordon' had Hollywood type Roman armour and was still recognizable for the marines body armour in 'Aliens'. Some of Anne Francis's clothes in 'Forbidden Planet', or Jenny Agutter's in 'Logan's Run' could easily have been worn by Rossana Podesta in 'Helen of Troy'!

The other popular look was of course the 'Harem girl', which could be seen in Flash Gordon, both from the 1930's and 80's versions as worn by Ornella Muti as Princess Aura. as well as Princess Ardala, played by Pamela Hensley in 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century' and more famously Carrie Fisher in 'Star Wars: Revenge of the Jedi'.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:May I offer a suggestion to your book list? It is "An Age of Tyrants: Britain and the Britons, A.D. 400-600" by Christopher A. Snyder (Paperback - Jun 1998).
I've had it on my Vortigern Studies booklist for about 10 years now.. :wink:
It's not on the Arthurian booklist because I did not find it 'Arthurian' enough.

Keeping in thread - did anyone suggest 'Barbarella' yet?

[Image: 10102276A~Jane-Fonda-Barbarella-Posters.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
On the subject of Arthur, wasn't there a series on UK TV back around 1970 ? Seems I remember Brits running around dressed as Iron age types.
Jon R.
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
Quote:did anyone suggest 'Barbarella'
Yep, way back there.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Quote:did anyone suggest 'Barbarella'
Yep, way back there.

Well it's a good thing it was suggested again and with a photo! Yeah!

Now my question is, if a Roman or Greek was to go to a "costume" party, what might they have dressed as? Something to think about.
Sean Marcum

Roma Victrix! 
like a barbarian? Some god perhaps?
maybe they used to dress like they thought we would do in the future? jeans and leather jackets Big Grin
Patrick Van Calck
Quote: Also did you know that Robert Addie who played the older Mordred in Excalibur also played Guy of Gisborne alongside Nickolas Grace as the Sheriff of Nottingham in the TV series "Robin of Sherwood" (1984). As a nod to fans of the series they both have a cameo scene together in Merlin (1999) bringing us full circle back to Arthur!

I love "Robin of Sherwood"! A really great series, much better than the new one.

There you go, Kat, you can go as Maid Marian! Smile
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Zev Bellringer from LEXX - The Dark Zone
would probably be the ultimate female Sci-Fi Character. At least if you´d ask me.
[Image: lexx-zev.jpg]
[Image: e9a096425f9f33145272074a195ce1b1.41659.jpg]

A decent alternative could only be a female 40K Inquisitor / Battle Sister like this:

[img]
http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/59/others/sister5
[/img]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hahahah! Sci-Fi characters out of work.... Magnus 3 1,136 01-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  Typing accented letters & special characters Tarbicus 0 837 11-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus