Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illustrations of Rome\'s Enemies
Greetings everyone, I am looking for any websites who have good illustrations of Rome's enemies. This is an example of the quailty that I am looking for:<br>
www.slitherine.co.uk/Legi...uscan2.jpg<br>
So please if anyone knows of such sites please let me know. Thank you. <p></p><i></i>
Look in the Osprey books - that's where most of the illustrations on Slitherine's website come from anyway.<br>
<br>
The (only?) website with original illustrations that I know of, is www.redrampant.com. <p>Strategy <br>
Designer/Developer <br>
Imperium - Rise of Rome</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=strategym>StrategyM</A> at: 2/29/04 12:04 pm<br></i>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte
This page has some illustrations of the Parthian army:<br>
<br>
www.iranchamber.com/histo...n_army.php<br>
<br>
The first picture is taken from John Warry's 'Warfare in the Classical World' (I don't know the illustrator's name for this book, but still rate these as the best reconstructions of Roman-era troops I've ever seen!). The other two pictures are plates from, I think, Osprey's 'Rome's Enemies: Parthians and Sassanid Persians'. <p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross
Actually, the third illustration on that page is from David Nicolle's book "Sassanian Armies: The Iranian Empire, early 3rd to mid-7th centuries AD" (Montvert 1996). Besides the fact that the horse armor is incomplete, and the incorrect inclusion of sidearms (early cataphracts seem to have only been armed with spears), it's still one of the best representations of a Parthian cataphract I've ever seen.<br>
<br>
Gregg <p></p><i></i>
John Warry was also the illustrator, afaik.<br>
nr. 2 is by Angus McBride, who illustrated Wilcox, P. - McBride, A.: Rome's enemies. 3. Parthians and Sassanid Persians. (Repr., Orig.ausg. 1986). London 1997 (=Osprey Military. Men-at-Arms Series, 175).<br>
To which I can add [url=http://www.satrapa1.archez.com/articulos/antiguedad/partos1/partos2.gif" target="top]this horse-archer.[/url]<br>
nr. 3 is by Angus McBride as well.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome\'s Italic allies and enemies Anonymous 5 1,630 11-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Anonymous