• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius journal online project. Free pdf download. Recent
Fernando,

Wonderful stuff thank you.

I have a request..
Gladius, Vol XVII (1986):57-62
A Roman Legionary Helmet found in Poland
Maria Jaźdiźewska

The Picture of the helmet in the .pdf file is almost invisible, do you have a better copy with a clearer picture of the helmet? A Coolus C with Port bei Nidau cheek pieces sounds fascinating!
pm sent! Smile
Many thanks Fernando. Big Grin
Quote:I have a request..
Gladius, Vol XVII (1986):57-62
A Roman Legionary Helmet found in Poland
Maria Jaźdiźewska

The Picture of the helmet in the .pdf file is almost invisible, do you have a better copy with a clearer picture of the helmet? A Coolus C with Port bei Nidau cheek pieces sounds fascinating!

Adrian,

the helmet was also published in a German journal. I have emailed you a copy. The photos are still bad but there is a line drawing which may be useful. I believe that a good photo of the helmet was in the catalogue of the "Vandal" exhibition a few years ago. If you need this, please send a pm and I will dig for the catalogue.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Not what I thought it would be that's for sure! In the article (in English) the author likens the helmet to the Schaan Coolus C, but on seeing the piece it is definately of the Agen type.

Thanks to Jens and Fernando for all of the information and pictures supplied!
Bravo to the publishers for putting the journal online for free! Its a very useful resource.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Thank you Sean!

BTW two new volumes have just been added: IX (1970); X (1972).
Is Gladius mainly an archeological orientated journal or does it also welcome articles about the daily life in the army (not focused on arms and armours but more the social/cultural aspects in the army).
I think thew best answer is that you check the guidelinies, the summaries of recent volumes and the papers themselves, all freely available online. You'll find everything from detailed metallurgical analysis and typologicla studies to tactical problems, iconographical issues and historical discussions.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Online Library Astiryu1 1 1,052 06-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Last Post: elagababbalus
  Free journal articles (in Spanish) on ancient siege warfare Eleatic Guest 0 1,262 01-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Free Online Theses jho 12 6,057 06-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio