Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adamklissi Tropaeum
Can anyone recommend an online source or a book with photos of the Adamklissi Tropaeum?<br>
<br>
Thanks!<br>
<br>
Paulus <p></p><i></i>
<em>Can anyone recommend an online source or a book with photos of the Adamklissi Tropaeum?</em><br>
<br>
museums.ncl.ac.uk/archive.../monum.htm<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks Mike! <p></p><i></i>
Do you know of any other sources? I'm interested in the shield blazons, but it is very difficult to see them in these photos.<br>
<br>
-Andy <p></p><i></i>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
I've now had a chance to look at the metopes in more detail. Very interesting- especially as the depictions (made closer to the front line) have always appeared to me potentially closer to the reality in the field than Trajan's column put up back at "Head Office".<br>
<br>
As Goldsworthy says, neither of the cavalry men (one on the cuirass, one cavalry man charging with lowered lance on Metope 1) appear to be wearing helmets. This suprises me given the ornate horse furniture- and my understanding that the artistic convention is that generally Emperors and generals were depicted bare-headed, together with barbarians (eg Numidian aixilliary cavalry, Dacians on Trajan's column), and legionaries doing work that would not require a helmet (e.g. digging trenches, fording rivers on Trajan's column). One possibility is that these depict Roman cavalry wearing a masked "sports helmet where originally the colour would have been painted on?<br>
<br>
Against this argument is the depiction in other Adamklissi metopes of bare-headed legionaries and standard bearers- although in all depictions of battle they are shown wearing helmets (and so would I if facing a Dacian with a falx!!).<br>
<br>
The horse's head in metope 1 (damaged) also looks as if a chamfron is depicted with a characteristic eye cover (e.g. the Vindolanda chamfron).<br>
<br>
Are there any other full or partial depictions of the Roman cavalry from Adamklissi that could be used to verify or refute these thoughts?<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Paul <p></p><i></i>
Great stuff. I had only seen a couple.<br>
<br>
I too tend to think these are probably more realistic than Trajan's column but the contrast in terms of artisitic "quality" is striking! Hellenistic artists/artisans were geographically not very far from Adamklisi so I have always been suprised to see the big stylistic gap (hellenistic realism VS primitivism).<br>
<br>
Interesting to see heavy legionaries with gladius scabbard on right hip while group of mailed guys with drawn swords (auxiliaries?) wearing scabbards on the right.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Tropaeum Traiani: a dark source CaesarAugustus 18 1,719 09-05-2021, 06:07 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Adamklissi arklore70 50 9,350 01-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  Tropaeum Traiani versus Trajans Column Nerva 43 10,329 05-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Nerva