Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Gutmann Gear on the auction block
Another batch of ancient military equipment from the Gutmann collection will be auctioned at Christy's, London on 28 April. Equipment afficiendos may want to buy the catalogue for it may be the last glimpse we will have of some of these items.<br>
<br>
More Roman helmets will go including the remarkable iron Niedermormter type with the Praetorian? "mouse and loaf" motiff.<br>
<br>
The finest Pompeii Gladius I know of will also. This is the one found by a private collector allegedly sticking out of a dump truck sand pile, excavated at Mainz. It's a beauty, I had it in my hands while on loan in Mainz before it was sold to Gutmann.<br>
<br>
Dan<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Dan,<br>
Did Mr Guttmann have any scabbard pieces or daggers within his collection? I have the excellent book on the Guttmann helmets, but other than the cavalry "sports" stuff am unaware of what else was in his collection. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=enniuspaulinus>Ennius Paulinus</A> at: 1/25/04 10:13 pm<br></i>
I never considered auction catalogues as a reference before. What a good idea! Is the Guttmann catalogue available yet? I couldn't find it on their website.<br>
<br>
-Andy <p></p><i></i>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
I spoke to Christies to-day and the catalogue will be out first week of April, with viewing of the helmets etc. on the Monday and Tuesday before the Wednesday auction. Sadly just to look, not to buy (chorus of " If I were a rich man...").<br>
How did you find out what is in the auction- is it elsewhere on the web?<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Paul <p></p><i></i>
Salve all<br>
<br>
When the catalogue has been finalised for printing it will be put onto the Christie's web site. Look under 'lotfinder' and enter the sale details. It will then come up lot by lot as set out in the catalogue.<br>
<br>
Although the images on screen are good, you will get a much better result by buying a catalogue. If you are in America, you can order them from Christie's New York, which should help with postage.<br>
<br>
I am going over to see the department today, so will let you all know what it's like!<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
<br>
Celer. <p></p><i></i>
Does anyone know why the mice an loaf motif is associated with the Praetorian Guard? Is it on a tombstone of a guard?<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
<br>
Celer. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about the Gutmann italic H iron helmet Dave G 23 5,929 12-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Caratacus