Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auxilia shields what options are there?
I think the designs on the auxiliary shields from Trajan's Column look similar to the designs seen on the celtic shields on the Arch of Orange because they were both sculpted by artists following Roman artistic conventions.

These TC designs may not be realistic representations of specific shield designs. I am sure they used the same motifs as would be found on actual shields, but I doubt the artists were provided with real shields for reference.

As for the celtic shields on the Arch of Orange, these seem even less likely to be accurate. The shield designs do not follow the La Tène style, as celtic equipment should. They look more like a Roman idea of barbarian art. Actually, the one shield featuring a pair of birds does look to be in the La Tène style. However, I remember the others looking quite Roman in style. I'll have to look at them again. L’Arc d ’Orange, by Robert Amy is a good reference for photos and drawings.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
Quote:I think the designs on the auxiliary shields from Trajan's Column look similar to the designs seen on the celtic shields on the Arch of Orange because they were both sculpted by artists following Roman artistic conventions.

These TC designs may not be realistic representations of specific shield designs. I am sure they used the same motifs as would be found on actual shields, but I doubt the artists were provided with real shields for reference.

As for the celtic shields on the Arch of Orange, these seem even less likely to be accurate. The shield designs do not follow the La Tène style, as celtic equipment should. They look more like a Roman idea of barbarian art. Actually, the one shield featuring a pair of birds does look to be in the La Tène style. However, I remember the others looking quite Roman in style. I'll have to look at them again. L’Arc d ’Orange, by Robert Amy is a good reference for photos and drawings.

That's exactly what I am thinking, well spoken!! :wink: :wink:
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Uhh, pics, please, anyone?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Andrew wrote:-
Quote:These TC designs may not be realistic representations of specific shield designs. I am sure they used the same motifs as would be found on actual shields, but I doubt the artists were provided with real shields for reference.
One might suppose that to be the case, but in fact artists in Rome had hundreds, nay, thousands of examples to look at ! 8)

Trophies were invariably taken from victorious battles, displayed in a parade ( whether Ovation or Triumph), and 'dedicated' to the Gods in the temples ( i.e. hung up in the temples and porticoes)

As an example, after the battle of Cannae, the Romans in desperation raised four legions from the young 16-17 year olds including two Legions from 8,000 volunteer slaves ('volones')[Livy XXII.57]. These four Legions were largely equipped with "the ancient spoils of enemies" taken down from the temples and porticoes.

Later still, another was raised from 6,000 debtors and criminals. These 6,000 men were equipped with captured Gallic equipment taken down from the temples, apparently dedicated by Flaminius after his great victory
over the Insubres in the Po valley in 223 BC.

Lest anyone doubt how long such trophies can last, mediaeval shields and banners still adorn many European churches that are over 500 years old.....

I don't doubt therefore that Roman and Provincial artists had plenty of actual Celtic examples to work from, and consider that the 'tropaeum' carved on the base of Trajan's Column almost certainly clearly and faithfully reproduces actual captured weapons from Trajan's triumph.... Smile D
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff