Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HBO Rome Nominated For Costume Honors...
This just in from Hollywood:

http://www.costumedesignersguild.com/10 ... minees.asp

The HBO series "Rome" has been nominated for Best Costume Achievement in the Period/Fantasy TV series category at the 10th annual CDG Awards (to be handed out on Feb. 19 at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel).

Rome is competing against "Pushing Daisies" and "The Tudors."

The Costume Designers Guild awards will be hosted by Anjelica Huston.

This is just one of many awards shows that plague Los Angeles this time of year and although there are no plans to televise this event I will keep you posted once the winners are announced.

:wink:

Oh..and this too...

"300" was nominated for costume excellence in the Fantasy Feature Film category.

I think that says it all.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I could see it, in the fantasy category.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
I like Pushing Diaies, but I think ROME deserves to win! Big Grin wink:
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
I would agree with you Senovara...although I have not seen Pushing daisies(or 300) :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
IMO "Rome" doesn´t deserve it. The costumes in "Rome" are 19th-century view of Roman clothing , but not Roman clothing at all. If. Some of it is pure fantasy. Extremely bad research for military attire, civil attire, Roman history, Roman every-day live. etc. p.p. What is "authentic", are the buildings, roads etc. That´s it.
Not implying that the story is bad, or that it is a bad series. Just not historic. Fantasy. Not more or less than 300. IMO.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I would disagree there Caius. It may not have been totally historical accurate, but it definately gave a sense of the brutality and way of life, to a certain extent. And as far as costume for a TV mini series goes, it deserves it.
It is not, after all, a documentary, but a drama.
I have been watching some doumentary series about Roman history which are actually worse in costume and historical content.... :roll:
Pompay was 'assassinated by caesars spys' according to the series I am watching. I don't recall that being in any records, although I have not seen but a fraction of what is possibly available to historians. But most books I have read say he was killed by Ptolomy, even if a Roman centurion formerly fighting for Pompey not Caesar. I have read a fictionalised book which uses the theme of a pompeian centurion who goes over to Caesar.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Aren't they winning on Atia's birthday suit alone?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:I would disagree there Caius. It may not have been totally historical accurate, but it definately gave a sense of the brutality and way of life, to a certain extent.

One could probably talk about that for hours. Smile There were several reviews made here independently by social historians and archaologists, and all were devastating. One of some length in Antike Welt.
I can see your point in some cases, nonetheless. But just a few.
But before this goes on forever let´s just agree to disagree on that. Wink

Quote:And as far as costume for a TV mini series goes, it deserves it.
It is not, after all, a documentary, but a drama.
I have been watching some doumentary series about Roman history which are actually worse in costume and historical content....
Yes. Most documentaries are even worse... I often wonder why reenactment groups doing first c. AD go to a film setting which tells a story about e.g. Marcus Aurelius... :roll: Money?
They don´t do the public a favour.

As for a TV-Mini-Series: It was the most expensive TV series ever made, AFAIK. It wouldn´t have cost them more to make authentic-cut costumes and military gear. Like in Gladiator, they didn´t. Bad advisors? Directors with a profile-neurosis? Who knows...

On the frontside: They should get a price for interesting many people for Roman history. Yes. But not for historic costumes. For that means then, that either the price is rubbish, since noone in the committee did research, or that it doesn´t matter to do research. Would set a bad sign.

But then, I wouldn´t mind if the price would say Fantasy on every occasion as well:
Quote:has been nominated for Best Costume Achievement in the Period/Fantasy TV series category at the 10th annual CDG Awards
and not only period. That´d be more open, and fine, as it leaves a lot to the audience´s imagination. Smile
Christian K.

Quote:Aren't they winning on Atia's birthday suit alone?
There was pubic hair.... not... well... very roman. Wink
Christian K.

Quote:The HBO series "Rome" has been nominated for Best Costume Achievement in the Period/Fantasy TV series category.

Ah, they mixed up the word order here, actually this should read:

The HBO series "Rome" has been nominated for Best Costume Achievement in the Fantasy TV series category. Period.

Tongue
One thing we as re-enactors/living historians, re-constructionists, etc fail to take into consideration sometimes when it comes to movies, and TV shows. We are hypercritical, and we over analyze these things to the point it takes away the main objective of pure entertainment. These shows were not meant to be scholarly, but meant to amuse the masses of the common people. With that said, I feel ROME had some of the best costuming of any TV show I have ever watched. Costuming, not historically accurate reconstructions of extant garments as many of us would create. [/b]
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:These shows were not meant to be scholarly, but meant to amuse the masses of the common people.
But then, as I said above, why not making it right? Noone would expect them to use reconstructed fabrics or such, I guess, but they could have effortlessly gotten at least the overall look right (That´s what I meant above with "cut"). And they were very accurate with the sceneries, buildings etc. Why not there as well? Would it have been less entertaining?
Or then, why did they go through all those efforts for the scenery, even up to the Pompeji wall graffitti?
"Good costuming" as "a lot of designing and hours of hard work" etc. That would be a price for hard work then. Wink
Good costuming: Wink
[Image: Pullo_vorenus.jpg]
[Image: cast.jpg]
[Image: oscar3.jpg]
Christian K.

Cauis,

Maybe the average Joe Public would consider authentic Roman clothing to be too bland? :wink:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:
Narukami:jm0bo991 Wrote:The HBO series "Rome" has been nominated for Best Costume Achievement in the Period/Fantasy TV series category.

Ah, they mixed up the word order here, actually this should read:

The HBO series "Rome" has been nominated for Best Costume Achievement in the Fantasy TV series category. Period.

Tongue

[size=150:jm0bo991]Indeed![/size] Big Grin

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
[Image: Pullo_vorenus.jpg]

[Image: love-smiley-056.gif][Image: love-smiley-056.gif]

You just found my screensaver :lol: *sigh*

I'm sorry.. what was the subject again?....

I guess one of the reasons they're not 100% authentic is because they only have to get the majority to be convinced. Perhaps paying for more researchers (or whatever it is they do) for the sake of a few reenactors/historians isn't worth it to them. For a fictional drama I'd say that's fair enough but not for a documentary.
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~