Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List of Roman Forts....
Has anyone made a list of reconstructed, or known forts in the modern world? Perhaps with a section of known forts but not excavated yet? I ran a search the other day on "roman fort" and came up with a ton of matches...a list of such forts and their locations would be handy, not only for research, but for anyone planning a trip to Britain or Europe. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
The first thing that springs to mind for Britannia is the Ordnance Survey 'Historical map and guide: Roman Britain,' ISBN: 0319290298. It has all the known Roman sites (including forts, villas, temples, etc.) in the country on it. It also includes a list of some of the main sites and museums I think it's now up to its 5th Edition.<br>
<br>
Strangely, I couldn't find reference to it on the Ordnance Survey website (!), but this seems to be a good source, which you should give you some of idea of its format:<br>
<br>
www.mapsworldwide.com/mwwlive/m3636.htm<br>
<br>
Don't know what other countries have regarding their Roman sites. <p></p><i></i>
Here's one for Britain:<br>
<br>
www.morgue.demon.co.uk/Britannia.html<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks for that site mike, it's awesome! Now I have to figure out how to make my guard towers for my scale model... <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman camps UK - is there a database or list? Steve Kaye 55 11,249 01-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Alan316
Question A list of each Roman helmets date? Robcore 2 1,189 07-06-2020, 09:52 PM
Last Post: xxLegion2019
  Roman forts before excavation ... Luka Bruketa 4 1,501 01-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Last Post: mcbishop