Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the revolt of spartacus
I read a book about Spartacus, written by Max Gallo. Great! I never knew that he was an auxiliary soldier in a fort of the XII Legion of Thrace, and that he wanted to pass to Sicily with the help of some stupid pirates that never helped him.
Spartacus was a Thracian boy that loved to hunt and to fight. He married very young, with a girl named Apollonia, that was a priest, to Dionysus. They hunted together, ate together, slept together, they did everything together!
But in one lovely day, Spartacus, in the middle of the forest, saw, with his hunting group, a Roman Fort. He only told his group "I want to be like them", but Apollonia said he would never be like those Romans.
And, in another day, when he returned to see the fort, he saw those dacians, attacking the Romans. It was a lost battle to the Romans. But Spartacus ordered his men to attack, and they changed the fate of that battle. Nomius Castricus, a centurion of the XII Legion, asked him if he wanted to integrate in his Legion. He said yes. And Apollonia went with him, and his men.
Spartacus knew in the Fort a man called Jair, The Jude, who had all the trusting of those fool Romans. Jair could get out of the Fort, to catch grass and special plants. Spartacus, one day, ran away. Apollonia with him. And Jair two days later. But they were captured (...). Then they were taken to the slave market of Delfos, where Cnaeus Lentulus Balatius bought them for his ludus, his gladiatorial school in Capua. They were taken there and enslaved. Spartacus would be a gladiator. His wife a prostitute. And Jair would be a doctor of the school. (...) But Spartacus ran away with an enormous group of men, like Crixos, CEnomaus or Vindex, and the ludus quartermaster, Curius. They sacked small villages, towns and villas near Capua, anything that was roman. (...)
Marcus Manlius Varro, born in the Province of Lusitannia
(Antonio Araujo)
Since you're discussing a historical novel i'm moving this to the 'references and reviews' section.

And Antonio, why should you 'believe' anything that's written in a novel, anyway? Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)