Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most recognizable symbols of Rome
Damn, I'm lucky to have access to as many knowledgable people as you guys. Again, you all really have my heart felt thanks.

I'll let you all know what this thread and the other oen I posted about "Virtvs" has culminated in, in a few weeks. I still need one more thing. 8)

Legion: TBD
The symbol of the she-wolf suckling Romulus and Remus can be found on the shield of Roma (from the base of the Column of Antoninus Pius)

[Image: shield.jpg]

It's probably the most conspicuous, authentic representation.

~Theo
Jaime
What about the manus,the big hand mounted on a pole used by the legions?

For the general public, I would say the olive wreath, or the eagle of Jupiter bearing crossed thunderbolts...
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
I think for a lot of people a symbol for rome is a attic helmet with a crest, as seen in old movies...

:?
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
I'd go with three things, 2 of which are symbols by the meaning they impart-

The wreath of leaves around the head, whichever kind they may be. The average Joe on the street would see that and think, "Hey, Rome!"

Second, the toga, be it the real one, of appropriate volume and drapery, or the more common fraternity sort. Most people associate togas with Rome due to the enduring image of the Roman statesman in the Senate (or so I like to think Smile

And the Forum. The idea of free city men meeting in public to hash things out probably came from Greece, but due to our faithful milites, the custom spread all over Europe.

My 2 cents; that and a sob story will buy a cup of coffee Smile
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Quote:I was thinking more along the lines of actual symbols, like military standards and the like.

In that case, if I have to choose one, I'd vote for the eagle.
Aurelia Coritana
aka Laura Sweet
[url:3tjsw0iy]http://www.theromanway.org[/url]
[url:3tjsw0iy]http://www.legionten.org[/url]

Si vales, gaudeo. (If you are well, then I am happy.)