Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with hunting weapon!
Getting back to the two-pronged spear, It may be that it is an artist's mistake and the barbs should face inwards. I've seen many fish and small-game spears made this way. The prongs are flexible and snap around the prey's neck or body and the barbs hold it fast. Or this one may be designed especially to pin small game to the ground. The successful hunter is holding a hare.
Pecunia non olet
So given the choice, Aitor, which way would you like the barbs to point? In or out?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
That's why I asked about that several posts ago, John:?
The man on horse is also about to pin a hiding hare.
Tony gave a plausible explanation for the outwards pointing barbs, but I must admit that our sources (iconographical, only two and both coming from the same mosaic) are not what I'd call reliable. I'd rather prefer a good ole' rusty actual forked spear! :roll:
But, given the state of affairs. I am afraid that out, David. :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
What diameter of socket? How long from end to end? How long of barbed spike? I am compiling a list of "Things I Have to Do", and might be able to fit one in.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I would say the barbs face outwards it would be easier to remove from the hare as you would have to work inbetween the two forks if they face inwards to pull each barb out.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I was thinking and a new idea has born. :roll:

Idea

What about the possibility of such weapon are created to hunt rabbits without kill them, or without cut their skins? The barbed points are for insert the weapon in the ground, blocking the rabbit between the ground and the weapon.
Mmmm. interesting, but I think a net would be better for that (one day we must try that), but perhaps using one from a horse can make the legs of the horse trap in it and make you fall.

But as the only things I ever hunt were lizards, or hens (both bare handed 8)

I don´t see the point (Haha!) for having two spikes. Barbed, yes, because if you use a spear and you hit the rabbit but you doesn´t kill, he will run away even wounded.But having two...only if they are close enough to thrust both the rabbit.

Perhaps two points= double chance of hitting :?:

A rabbit must be a fast and little target from a horse. Good training for horsemen, clearly...but better for this if a spear is used, rather a net.

I have to check more info about roman hunt :roll:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Here is my thoughts on the spear construction :? hmm
[Image: hunt1.jpg]
Sorry for the crude drawing. But as Lvcivs points out :?: one thing jumped in my mind Hares are very fast so how can a spear be used to ensnare it :?: To me a dog would have been used, any thoughts :!:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Many thanks for your ideas, contributions and help offers!! Big Grin

If you ask my opinion, I say the first one, Tony, i.e., socketed 8)
about dimensions, I put a graphic scale on my drawing:
[Image: Arpon2.jpg]
Of course, now I think that the prongs must be slimmer and the socket, maybe narrower... :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I think I found another "bident" spear in a mosaich, please check it at "die reiter Roms" vol 1, page 124, lower photo. It´s holded by the figure in the upper center.

But it can be only a trees branch... :?

I hopesoon I´ll can post here the name of the mosaich´s villa and the museum where it is. I only remember it was in N. Africa, so not far from Sicily...
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Mmmh, the pic is too tiny to tell for sure, Iagoba... :?
The mosaic is maybe from the Tellaro villa, the little known relative of the Piazza Armerina one. www.provsr.it/Documenti/BC/tellaro/Tellaro.htm
After thirty years since it was discovered, it was finally open to the public last month. 8) )

Have you been able to make some progress on the bident, Tony? :wink:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
It was showed on Bardo museum.

As so many mosaics... Confusedhock:
Aitor ive started to do the spear so will keep you posted Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
OK, Tony, many thanks! Big Grin

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
I found it! :wink:

A bigger photo at www.tunisiaonline.com/mosaics/

AND IT`S ANOTHER FURCA! Big Grin

[Image: mosaic12.jpg]

Hunting Scene from El Jem

Middle of the 3rd c. AD (Bardo Museum, Tunis)