Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC\'s "Attila the Hun" Trailer
Quote:This may sound churlish given that it's always good to get Roman history, and especially late Roman history, on tv, but I found it a bit boring and was disappointed at the reinforcement of Roman anti-Hun prejudices. Thought the late Roman cities were quite good, and actually looked a bit like late Roman cities, but laughed at the siege engines and was very disappointed with Chalons and the way infantry battle was portrayed.

Was that the battle where they didnt show the battle? lol I was gearing myself up for a good, meaty scene and it just cut to post-fighting!
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Jaime wrote:

Quote:Wow, please tell us which plate you're refering to Graham. "A", "C", or "G" ?

It is B1 Jaime. Let me know what you think.
The Phil Barker source was No. 9. a LEGIONARIUS.

As Kate said, given what the subject matter was about the production was quite dull.

Classic use of Movie Roman English accents was in 'Masada', where you had upper class thespian types, O' Toole, Warner and Quayle playing the officers down to the lowly legionaries represented by cockney actors like Michael Elphick via an uncanny Chris Haines centurion look-a-like played by Jack Watson!
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
.... and at one point one of the characters uttered the ancient classical phrase of.. "my arse" Big Grin
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Quote:
Jaime:366mc1jz Wrote:Quote:
Wow, please tell us which plate you're refering to Graham. "A", "C", or "G" ?

It is B1 Jaime. Let me know what you think.
The Phil Barker source was No. 9. a LEGIONARIUS.

Ohhh....I missed "B" because he isn't wearing his helmet. It reminds me of Mithras' crested helmet. Well, hopefully they'll use these new crested LR helmets to replace the first century centurion types for future productions.

Quote:As Kate said, given what the subject matter was about the production was quite dull.

Oh well. I'll watch it for the CGI then Smile

Thanks for the review.

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:Attila was played by the Scottish actor Rory McGann who appeared as Crateros in 'Alexander'. Funny that Gerard Butler, another Glasgow born Scot who played Leonidas in '300' also played Attila in the 2001 movie. So the Huns must have looked liked Scots not Germans Jaime and could also double as Greeks!!! :wink:

Graham.

Whilst you are correct about Rory McGann, some Scottish are Germanic; those from the south eastern lowlands below the Firth of Forth as that was the Germanic kingdom of Lothian and then part of the Germanic kingdom of Bernicia and then part of the Germanic kingdom of Northumbria. The idea that the Scotts are just Celtic is a myth as they are a diverse culture with Germanic cultures in the south east lowlands, the north, the Shetlands and the Orkney isles and Gaels in most area.

The beauty of Scotland is that it is so diverse in culture (due to the different cultures that inhabited the area before it became modern Scotland, more so than England and Wales; sadly people are taught that the Scots are only Gaelic which is a shame as the cultures of Lothian etc will most likelybe lost in the near future.
Aethelfrith: Hard on the outside, soft in the inside!

Name: Aethelfrith...call me Al, though, it would be easier. I would prefer not to give my surname, thanks.
Why on earth they never use those Deurne / Berkasovo / Concesti type helmets on these productions. After all, they are THE MOST GORGEOUS LOOKING HELMETS EVER MADE; period :evil: !!!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:Graham Sumner wrote:
The Huns seemed to do without horses most of the time fighting on foot. I suppose easier to CGI!

........................................................................................................

Maybe they were Gothic or Germanic subjects of the Huns. The bulk of their forces must've been from subject tribes, IMO.

Hunnic cavalry wasn't as common by the time of Attila as it was in earlier years; most Huns actually fought on foot using Germanic tactics whilst cavalry was used as Hunnic elite.

You are right, Theodosius the Great, most troops who fought for Attila were Germanic warriors (most famously from the Gothic Gepids and Ostrogoths). Infact, high ranking officials, like Adaric, were Germanic.

At the battle of Chalons there was a famous clash between Attila's Ostrogoths and the Visigothic allies of Aetius.

Name: Aethelfrith...call me Al, though, it would be easier. I would prefer not to give my surname, thanks.
Quote:Why on earth they never use those Deurne / Berkasovo / Concesti type helmets on these productions. After all, they are THE MOST GORGEOUS LOOKING HELMETS EVER MADE; period :evil: !!!!

In many ways I agree!

At least they had accurate (to a degree) looking Romans as I am sick of the classical look in productions about the late Roman era!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,901 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus