Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Bond, Indiana Jones, Ellery McQueen
I think everybody knows that James Bond briefly studied ancient languages in Cambridge; it is mentioned in one of the first novels, when Miss Moneypenny reads the file on 007.

I always liked the idea that Bond must have followed a course of ancient history from A.H.M. Jones, and like the thought that the author of The Later Roman Empire was, as a young man, called Indiana.

Today, I read Ellery Queen's Egyptian Cross Mystery (not recommended), and guess what the detective has been studying? Ancient history again.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Jona, you totally missed your real destiny, it seems.

Big Grin LOL
ALA I BATAVORUM
Some photographs of a Doctor Jones, father of 'Indiana' Jones also bear an uncanny likeness to a certain James Bond! :wink:

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Mr. Sumner, I think you're on to something there!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Funny- in You Only Live Twice, Bond mentions that he took a first in ORIENTAL languages at Cambridge- guess the filmmakers decided to fudge that one a bit since the film takes place largely in Japan :wink:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
...or maybe, being an exceptional student, he studied both. But really, saying that, and considering how many hundreds of languages would fall into that category, it's like saying "European languages", which includes -- how many?? But it's a movie.

I always wondered why the super villain didn't just shoot him. I mean, they capture him in pretty much every film, and their elaborate execution machines never really seem to work. Bullets do. Sigh. There I go again.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I always wondered why the super villain didn't just shoot him. I mean, they capture him in pretty much every film, and their elaborate execution machines never really seem to work. Bullets do. Sigh. There I go again.
Saepe veritas est incomprehensible. :wink:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
007: "Do you expect me to talk?"
Goldfinger: "No, Mr.Bond, I expect you to die!"

So disastrously mistaken... Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post