Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vitis "Beating Stick"
I'm curious to whether there are any examples from art or Roman sculpture. I've seen examples of what centurions use, but I am curious on the subject.
Derek D. Estabrook
There are one or two in the images data base

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,94/

is one, i was begining to think i was imagining it....There is another one in there as well!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks. One more question though. What would be the proper length for a centurion's vitis? Right now I'm pretty much at shorter than a tribunes, but the only pic I found was partially covered by the shield.
Derek D. Estabrook
I'm also curious to the earlier form and its materials. I've read that it was typically a form of vine, but if this is correct I am curious about the type.
Derek D. Estabrook
I think it was grape vine , not 100% on that tho'
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
That was my guess too, but I wanted to be sure. It definately would be a mark of status as I'm sure healthy grapevine has always been fairly valuable at least for practical purposes. Not too sure how good it would be for a beating though.
Derek D. Estabrook
As one who has been on the recieving end, trust me, it is very good! :wink: :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Another depiction of the vitis is on the grave stele of Marcus Favonius Facilis..

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,94/
Is there not one called 'get me another' or something on his stele as well, or is that something I read somewhere? Always breaking his vitus on the legionaries? I think they finally turned on him, as you do!?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Gaivs Fighting the grey matter again . His name misses me but I think it was in the early 1st AD, the revolt of 16 AD :?: the centurian after many a torment of his troops with his Vitvs was summary throwen in the Rhine during the revolt and I think Germanicvs brought order back and went on into Germania after the ring leaders were round up and executed I hope this is right without looking it up Big Grin
PS I have a couple of Vitvs up in the work shop so will pic n post tommorow with why they make good beating sticks Cry Cry
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
[quote="brennivs (tony drake)":91ohn6ia]Gaivs Fighting the grey matter again . Regards Brennivs Big Grin roll:

Yeah, it is all to common with me, I seem to be losing all too often too! :lol: :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Here they are I had more than I thought Cry
[Image: P2120682.jpg]
As you can see the top one is a pressgang priest with my first Centvrian Vitvs below both are made from Hazel. The other two are vines longest being 38" long. The top Vine is copyed from Marcvs Caelivs Rvfvs which to me showed maybe a top knob made from metal :?: this may also be on other tombstones. The bottom one is from Minvcivs, Padova which shows a snake like Vitvs but it is faceing the wrong side in pic.
[Image: vitvs1.jpg]
The next pic shows how flexable a vine is unlike a cane of the same thickness. If hit with this it would hurt, but would not break bones just a reminder of "Dont DO That Again" Cry They are no good to use as a walking stick but ideal for punishment Cry
Back to the workshop Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I have a birch one. Heavy, thick and very gnarly!

[Image: stick20-20WS00320twist202.jpg]
I want to make a few out of a hazelbush I have in the garden. It's a special type, producing twisting and turning branches and I have left several branches unpruned for a few years for this sole purpose. Any tips on how to dry the wood but prevent splitting? Should it soaked in water for a few months before trying to dry it?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:Here they are I had more than I thought Cry
[Image: P2120682.jpg]
As you can see the top one is a pressgang priest with my first Centvrian Vitvs below both are made from Hazel. The other two are vines longest being 38" long. The top Vine is copyed from Marcvs Caelivs Rvfvs which to me showed maybe a top knob made from metal :?: this may also be on other tombstones. The bottom one is from Minvcivs, Padova which shows a snake like Vitvs but it is faceing the wrong side in pic.
[Image: vitvs1.jpg]
The next pic shows how flexable a vine is unlike a cane of the same thickness. If hit with this it would hurt, but would not break bones just a reminder of "Dont DO That Again" Cry They are no good to use as a walking stick but ideal for punishment Cry
Back to the workshop Big Grin

Very nice sticks Tony! Do you happen to sell sticks such as those? I'm looking for a tribune's staff and a fustilis (soldiers club).

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be