Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lupercalia
Quote:I got NO card, NO flowers, bugger all.

Woah, you ladies seriously need to hit your husbands/boyfriends over the head with a gladius! Confusedhock:

I did the Japanese V-day tradition of making home-made chocolates for my intended (yes, in Japan, it's the *girls* who give the chocies! If the boy likes them too, they reciprocate by buying them chocolate a week later). My husband had to work all day so, so he's taking me to a fancy Greek restaurant this weekend, with chocolates and flowers. Smile
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:

Woah, you ladies seriously need to hit your husbands/boyfriends over the head with a gladius! Confusedhock:

I did the Japanese V-day tradition of making home-made chocolates for my intended (yes, in Japan, it's the *girls* who give the chocies! If the boy likes them too, they reciprocate by buying them chocolate a week later). My husband had to work all day so, so he's taking me to a fancy Greek restaurant this weekend, with chocolates and flowers. Smile

Lucky you Big Grin Can you sell partners on Ebay? lol
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Quote:Can you sell partners on Ebay
Probably, provided you can prove ownership. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:
Lochinvar:3nhja6s7 Wrote:I apologise for incorrectly including an 'l' in the penultimate word of my last post. :oops:

You give pubic displays? Confusedhock:

Memmia, did you get a nice surprise in the end? Sadly I didn't, just a card!

I sulked until I got some chocolate. Then I sulked for the rest of the evening because I ate the chocolate therefore breaking my diet :lol:
I'd have serious words with your Valentine though, no flowers or chocolates is way out of order.

Did you know that if Valentines day falls on a leap year, women are allowed to propose to men (as long as they are wearing a red petticoat- the woman not the man Tongue ) if the man refuses, they have to buy the woman a new dress, according to an old custom. I actually proposed to my husband on Valentines day in 2000 (took us 7 years to get round to marrying though).
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Quote:

I bought my hubby beer.

He appreciated that.
Friends of Letocetum
I made my Dutch-born girlfriend some varkensrollade, duivekater, and apple-cream pudding. I even managed to say good evening in Dutch, correctly. She was amazed at the effort! And because she was so happy, I called it a success.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
How romantic! And I have no idea what those dishes are, besides the pudding, but they sound yummy. Smile
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Quote:How romantic! And I have no idea what those dishes are, besides the pudding, but they sound yummy. Smile

I had to google search! The first looks like some form of rolled meat and the second maybe a bread?
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Varkensrollade=rolled pork. Sliced some pork shoulder, put some basil and rosemary on the inside, rolled it up and pinned it with toothpicks, then cooked it with garlic.

Duivekater...translation uncertain, something like devil's bread? A sweet bread.

The apple pudding was easy, just boil the apples, mash 'em up add sugar and cream, let it chill. Think I'll do it for myself tomorrow; it was good! I served it all up with lambic.
Delicious!! Big Grin
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Quote:Varkensrollade=rolled pork. Sliced some pork shoulder, put some basil and rosemary on the inside, rolled it up and pinned it with toothpicks, then cooked it with garlic.

[Image: homer.jpg]

MMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Friends of Letocetum
Well there ya go! And all this time, we thought Lupercalia was all about running around clothed only in a wolf skin, swatting girls with strips of goat skin. While that sounds like fun, don't get me wrong, the feed sounds pretty good, too. Wonder if you have to dress for dinner? Formal wolf skins or regular...hmmm.

Confusedhock: :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Some people are into that kind of thing, or so I hear. :lol:
Now that I've recovered, yes, this was a very good party. I'll have to post photos of Matt, though he didn't do anything outrageous this year. In a previous year I'd put out goat skin strips, but no one wanted to take advantage of them. Asellina wanted to hire the local rugby guys (free keg) to play the lupercals, but got voted down.
Belly dancer went over really well too.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:Duivekater...translation uncertain, something like devil's bread? A sweet bread
Duivekater= (possibly) Duivels-kater = Devil's cat. Apparently also known as 'shin bone bread', and possibly referring to sacrifices from its shape.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lupercalia entertainment richsc 15 2,923 07-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Last Post: richsc
  io lupercalia richsc 2 2,414 02-18-2002, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Anonymous