Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Sandals
I am looking for a reference for roman sandals (civilian). Any period would do, but specifically 1st C BC.

Thanks in advance
An excellent reference is the second-to-last chapter of the book "Stepping through Time". Both military and civilian roman footwear are covered.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Carbatinas immediately come to mind. I am in the process of making 2 pair......M. Demetrius is an outstanding person to ask on these shoes, as well as his wonderful bride!
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Quote:I am looking for a reference for roman sandals (civilian).

What are you thinking of when you say "sandal"? Soleae, i.e. a sole that is held on the foot with two strings, converging between 1st and 2nd toe? Or rather carbatinae, a one-piece leather shoe normally covering wuite a bit of the vamp? Also for what person and/or area?

Quote:Any period would do, but specifically 1st C BC.

1st C BC is difficult, I don't recall having come across finds specifically dated to that time. 1st C AD there is some.
Thanks for the help. The Carbatina is what I am looking for. Are there any good patterns?
Hi Andy,

Quote:The Carbatina is what I am looking for. Are there any good patterns?

Dozens, but most are from the 2nd or 3rd C AD :-) )

If you PM me your email address I'll send you some.
Mr. Moser....would you happen to have a carbatina pattern for a Woman, roughly a size 7 1/2 US size??

Wes
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Are those for my carbatinae, Wes? Smile
BTW, haven't mailed out your drawing yet, but I am including a few little extras in the packet!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Yupper, one pair is yours and the other is going to a museum. I am sending you a PM.....goodies, COOL!!!
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Big Grin D huzzah for goodies!

Wow, which museum is it for!?
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
C'mon Wes, hurry up. She's walking around the house in her socks!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hi Wes,

Quote:...would you happen to have a carbatina pattern for a Woman, roughly a size 7 1/2 US size??

as I said above, dozens, though not necessarily to size. Adjusting certainly isn't a problem, though. PM me your emailaddress and I'll send you some to choose from :-) )
Roman Era in Britain, by John Ward

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/G ... B/14*.html
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The soleae, was the sole made of wood? I read in the article my John Ward that it was. Could it be made of leather as well? If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it. I would like to make some.[/img]
Paul Zatarain
[size=100:m472q49a]Leg IX Hispana CENT I HIB[/size]

http://www.reenactor.net/duplisite/

"What man is a man who does not strive to make the world a better place"
Quote:The soleae, was the sole made of wood? I read in the article my John Ward that it was. Could it be made of leather as well? If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it. I would like to make some.[/img]

The sole of solae can definitely be made of leather. There are lot's of originals made this way. I think leather was a much more common material for solae soles than wood.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be