Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some countries more history oriented than others?
The members of RAT are well represented from several countries, but curiously from some neighbors I dont' see any at all, apparently. Far as I can tell we are from:<br>
<br>
Netherlands, Germany, UK (England, Scotland), Italy, Spain, Catalonia, Hungary, US, Austria, Canada, Australia, Russia (I think), and do I recall anyone from France? I know I've missed a few, but I don't see anyone from Belgium or Switzerland. Just a coincidence or are they really out there?<br>
<br>
Does this imply they have a different national emphasis on history, or their internet access is more expensive? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc@romanarmytalk>RichSC</A> at: 3/23/03 1:46:54 pm<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Different national emphasis on history? Internet access more expensive? At least those can't be reasons why there is such a small number of german people around here. I have no serious explanation for this but this <em>should</em> change after Xanten in June.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin <p></p><i></i>
Hi,<br>
Just because some of us live in Australia doesn't mean we aren't still New Zealanders!<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam<br>
<br>
'Modern history, like a deaf man, answers questions no one asks' - Tolstoy War and Peace Ep. ii.1</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
I am French, Rich.. <p></p><i></i>
eh bien! After Rome, Britain and the US, I probably know more about French history than any other country. I secretly hope I had ancestors in the Imperial Guard. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Easy test: if someone challenges you to surrender and your first reaction is to shout 'Merde' and then die, you probably have ancestors in the Guard. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
My second wish then should be to be an ancestor of the Life of Brian's 'crack suicide squad'? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Oh, oh! Has Catalonia won its independence from Spain already? In that case, we Basque would like to have ours too! (not to mention Kurdistan or Palestine, for example)<br>
Maybe brackets, like you've done with the UK would be a more comfortable solution!<br>
<br>
Mmmmh, maybe you've already guessed that I'm Basque...<br>
<br>
Aitor<br>
<p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I was wondering at your name, Aitor. Basque is such a fascinating language; like Finnish, it is completely unrelated to any other language on earth, or so linguists say. Perhaps the original Cro-Magnons of Europe were speaking something similar 20,000 years ago...<br>
<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Our Roman compatriots in Catalonia made a point of the distinction, which had escaped me.<br>
<br>
Jen, I keep hearing that the 'aryan' invasion which introduced the gauls/celts displaced the earlier language groups and cultures, of which it is theorized Basque is one of the survivors. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Yes, Basque is fascinating but as difficult to learn as German. It is also a declinated language and the verb is complex, using a more or less unvariable root and a compliacted and changing auxiliary.<br>
It seems to be very old, the words used to name many tools are based upon the root 'stone', which implies that they were still made of stone when they got their names. On the other hand, it shows heavy influx by the Latin.<br>
Most Catalonian and we Basque people have a definite idea of what we would politically desire but those intentions are, by now, a little far from our actual reality!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Aitor....<br>
<br>
On a hot, bright, day are you a basque in the sun?<br>
<br>
(sorry, just thought I'd trivialise the conversation) <p>Veni Vidi Bibi</p><i></i>
Sorry Occulus, I'm afraid that I've missed the pun and I haven't got my dictionary at hand!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
It was a pun on the English word "bask", as in lizards who bask in the sun.<br>
<br>
That pun couldn't have been more fowl if it were about chickens. <p></p><i></i>
Thanks for the tip, Casca!<br>
Now Occulus, I understand... tears are dropping from my eyes!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner