Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best historical mod for RTW?
I expect it depends on which faction you care about- I think some focus very much on the Romans and their neighbours. My only experience is with EB. It adds logistics rules, native troops (no "conquer the Peloponnese and start raising Hastati there that year" silliness), and some detailed scripted events like political/military reforms. They also try to make combat and development slower for a more historic flavour. However, the stats they assign are sometimes strange (good units seem a little too good compared to lighter competitors, some units are shown with shields but don't get the benefit of them, some 'light' units have a much lower melee attack than others for no obvious reason) and in their zeal to realisticly represent obscure factions they have added some things which the evidence doesn't seem to support like Spanish cataphracts.

I played Armenia, and my other annoyance was that armoured horse archers were almost invulnerable and seemed to be easy for the steppe nomads to raise. Historically, good foot archers like I had usually won an exchange of shots with any horse archers they outnumbered. But that's debatable! I'd much rather play EB than the basic game.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Best historical mod for RTW? - by Sean Manning - 03-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Re: Best historical mod for RTW? - by Lanista - 03-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Re: Best historical mod for RTW? - by Lanista - 03-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Re: Best historical mod for RTW? - by Senovara - 03-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Re: Best historical mod for RTW? - by Agraes - 03-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Re: Best historical mod for RTW? - by tone - 03-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Re: Best historical mod for RTW? - by Decius - 03-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Re: Best historical mod for RTW? - by Jayo Virgil - 04-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Re: Best historical mod for RTW? - by tone - 05-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Re: Best historical mod for RTW? - by tone - 06-06-2008, 08:01 AM