Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greeks with pants
Ok, been looking on site, under search, and really havent found anything on it.

With fighting in the SCA, and well to be honest, the guys I fight against, the prospect of fighting barethighed, makes me cringe. Smile

I know I have seen somewhere else, and I wanted to say on this site, that most likely the greeks, at least those in the northern provinces, where weather would get colder, would of worn pants in armor.

Can anyone help me with this, or am I just hopefully wishing. Smile

Thanks
John Tibbs
Maybe you could wear a thigh guard?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Actually I need to look that up, not sure have really seen any pics of them. Have read about them, and with the period I am going with, which is between 550 and 500 bc, I thought I had read, they used them.

Just havent seen any photos of them, or folks doing reenactments with them. Have looked thru the Show your Greek impression, several times, and dont recall seeing anyone use them. But I might not of been able to see them.

Will look around more.
John Tibbs
They were being phased out during the period you seek, but as a hoplite you can cover as much as you like. Below the bell cuirasse and belly plate or tube and yoke cuirasse, you have thigh guards, greaves, ankle guards, heel guards, instep and toe guards. The whole arm from shoulder to wrist can be armed as well. If you are curious, e-mail me and I'll send some images.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
I don't know if it helps but thessalina chiton was long sleeved and colonist hoplites of Crimea, Tavrika and Bosporus-where snow persists till April would need something more than a perizoma to stand against cold.

Kind regards