Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memoirs of Hadrian: The Movie
Due for 2008 directed by John Boorman and featuring Antonio Banderas as the voice of Emperor Hadrian, the epic novel adaptation is coming to the silver screen!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467470/

Thoughts, concerns, etc, etc.

Plot Keywords state it is: Drama/Gay Interest so I dunno.... :?
Hoping its more Drama/Action Tongue
Nicholas De Oppresso Liber

[i]“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.â€
Yet another bastardization of history for mass market appeal. Get a decent actor at least.
Joseph Pietrykowski
Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant
Oh dear. Boorman also made Excalibur. I fear that we will see the head of Bar Kochba being brought to Hadrian with the sound of the Carmina Burana. :evil: :x shock:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Or Hadrian bedding his missus in full armour! :lol:

"Are you not entertained, my dear"?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
C'mon guys, as an old artist friend used to say; "Only fools and children judge work half finished." :wink:

Boorman also made some great films: Point Blank, Deliverance, The Emerald Forest, Hope and Glory, The General.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Boorman also made some great films: Deliverance

Oh! Hadrian playing the lyre really skilfully. Hmm. A certain tune come to mind... Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I'd like to say a word in defence of Excalibur - it is no worse than any other attempt to put Arthur (certainly not the woeful most recent attempt) on screen and does get some sense of the mysticism. There is a "The adventures of the Young Arthur' or something like that which was very good - had Brian Blessed and that guy from The Smuggler in it - a BBC production.

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
As I remember it Boorman really wanted to do a film about Merlin, but could not get the backing ($) from any studio to do a film just about that. However a story involving Arthur was an easier sell. I think this is why Merlin is a more fully realized character and his bits work much better than some other aspects of the film.

Overall I think Boorman is an interesting film maker but will he do justice to Hadrian? (Does Hadrian deserve justice? :lol: ) That of course remains to be seen and Tarbicus is quite right -- we need to see/know more about this production before passing judgment.

Gladiator was on cable last night and watching the opening battle...those helmets Confusedhock: :? (

Perhaps someone should send Boorman and/or his production team a link to this web site. As we all know it will not cost them that much more (if any more at all) to get the costumes historically correct. What we are fighting against is the prevailing perception of what everyone thinks Romans should look like as opposed to what they really looked like (Thanks Hollywood :roll: ).

Once again I will hope for the best... :?

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Overall I think Boorman is an interesting film maker but will he do justice to Hadrian? (Does Hadrian deserve justice? :lol: )
Dunno about Hadrian, but Yourcenar certainly deserves some publicity.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:I'd like to say a word in defence of Excalibur - it is no worse than any other attempt to put Arthur (certainly not the woeful most recent attempt) on screen and does get some sense of the mysticism.

I agree. Enjoyed that film and I saw it very young (too young probably!)

But it interested me later when i was older to research King Arthur and the era ... so when i was fifteen I knew all that plate armour in the film and huge two-handers was nonsense. And of course the magic stuff, LOL. :wink:
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:I agree. Enjoyed that film and I saw it very young (too young probably!)

Yeah, me too. My parents sent me to bed after about 20 minutes :oops:
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
:lol: :lol:

Lucky for me, mine thougtht it was a kids movie just because it had knights and horses ... I popped the video in the player, they took a glance, and went away, leaving me alone to watch in entirety, haha!
(yeah I was a latchkey kid :oops: )
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

I enjoyed the book. It's more of a philosophical/psychological works, so I wouldn't expect huge mass scenes, battles etc. Well, it's Hadrian's memoirs, so more "in his head" by nature.
Aka
Christoph
Quote: It's more of a philosophical/psychological works ... Well, it's Hadrian's memoirs, so more "in his head" by nature.

I like books written like that. they give you insight into the character and what they're thinking.

Who wrote this novel? (sorry, I'd never heard of it before I saw this thread)
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Quote:Who wrote this novel? (sorry, I'd never heard of it before I saw this thread)
Mémoires d'Hadrien, by Yourcenar. One of the few really convincing novels about Antiquity.
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sulla, Memoirs SOCL 5 4,953 11-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Last Post: SOCL
  Memoirs of Hadrian Arthes 12 3,385 10-03-2006, 01:41 AM
Last Post: JRSCline
  New Film: Memoirs of Hadrian Niedel 7 2,615 01-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Arthes