Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to Alexandria
I'll be gone for a week in Egypt, starting Saturday. A day between Cairo and Giza, and three and a half days in Alexandria, as part of a project on the latter city. I think I've got it pretty well scoped out, but if anyone wants a picture of something specific, let me know. No guarantees -- I won't have much time in the National Museum, unfortunately.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Hey Dan, snap me a shot of the pyramids...not sure when I'll be getting there!

Legion: TBD
See if you can track down the elusive Fayum Shield !! Smile lol:
........just kidding, but sometimes an inquiry on the spot/ in-country can provide surprising answers....alleged missing statues/reliefs that turn out to be in situ all the time etc....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Can you get pics of the area the light house and harbour were located..
I could not for the life of me figure out which peninsula was which when we flew in and out last year......guess but not 100%.....it would be nice to know anyway.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Oh, just dig up Alexander's tomb. It's been missing for ever so long...
Cheryl Boeckmann
The remains of the Hellenistic wall in the Shallalat gardens in Alexandria: according to Chugg the only surviving part of the tomb of Alexander the Great. I had no opportunity to take that photo myself when I visited Alexandria two months ago.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Have a great time Dan! Smile
I'll be happy to see *any* pictures you take, I just wanna see the rest of the world!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Have a lovely time, Dan!
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
I'm baaaaack.

A selection of 400 or so pictures from my trip are uploaded here at Flickr. Photos by request.... the Pyramid of Khafre, the tower in the Shallalat Gardens (Jona, there are more in my set, and you can use any you might like), and the Eastern Harbor, in the right background of which you can see Ft. Qaitbey, the site of the ancient Lighthouse...

[Image: 2341104239_07aa244396.jpg] [Image: 2341277277_570267d221.jpg]
[Image: 2341486751_ecc8317391.jpg]
Dan Diffendale
Great pics, Dan, thanks.
I know that being there in person is even more breathtaking.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Wonderfull!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:(Jona, there are more in my set, and you can use any you might like)
I've sent a p.m. THANKS!!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Darn! I'd have asked for pictures of anything of Legion III that may be there, marker stones and the like.

These pictures are great! Thanks for sharing!

Hope you had a blast. Next time take me...Pleeeaasssseee! Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Great pics Dan, wish I had been able to get some arials when we flew in and out there, then I could have located the place...... Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Darn! I'd have asked for pictures of anything of Legion III that may be there, marker stones and the like.
If I'd seen any, I certainly would have taken a photo! There frankly isn't that much left, at least not that's visible. The Graeco-Roman Museum will be closed for (at least) another 7 years, and while the new National Museum of Alexandria and the Antiquities Museum in the Bibliotheca Alexandrina have picked up some of the slack, they don't exhibit a lot of the more "pedestrian" (to must people) stuff.
Dan Diffendale