Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody else writing?
I wrote a book called "Gladiatrix" - it comes out on 18th March. Working on the sequel now.

Cheers

Russ
Quote:Back at the start, the mention of staring at a blank piece of paper...I've found for myself, the the best cure for writer's block, at least when you get into a story and don't know where it should go is to simply open a blank document and start on a story that's unrelated to the blocked one. That lets the brain cook up the original without being "forced".

Pressure is the death of creative writing. Save those starts to the blockbreakers, because once in a while, they take root and grow into something on their own.

Worked for me, is all.

Oh, and if you have a dream that's vivid, get up and write the outline down so you'll remember it. Amazing things can come from dreams, but you rarely remember them if you don't interrupt your sleep and get them on paper.

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

Unfortunately, none of my dreams are suitable for publication ....... !! :lol: :lol:
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
I'm a professional author and write, among other things, the SPQR series of mysteries set in the late Repubic. I'm now working on volume XIV. I've also written "Hannibal's Children" and "The Seven Hills," alternate history stories in which Rome lost the Second Punic War.
Pecunia non olet
Cool thread!

I write mostly science fiction and fantasy. I recently finished a fantasy novel (more of an anthology type book though) and I am about 6 chapters away from finishing a science fiction novel. I also have written a few dozen short stories. Have to work on publishing next! Big Grin
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
who can school me on a fair shake from publishers, someone with experience preferably, i want to keep my character rights and creative control and profit ofcourse from royalties and such. im unpublished so ofcourse lack an agent but advice most welcome, please n thanx
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
I'm writing a novel about a legionary participating in the Germanic campaigns (including Varian battle) 10 BC to 15 AD. Hardest thing so far is developing correct timelines, logical use of geography ...(google earth is pretty helpful with this Big Grin ( ... so it will probably be a lifework
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
tell me when it's finished 8)
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
Quote:tell me when it's finished
You'll probably legatius legiones by then. ... want to have a role in it? ;-) )
Quote:
Quote:tell me when it's finished
You'll probably legatius legiones by then. ... want to have a role in it? ;-) )

ok, in three weeks? :lol:

yes, sure. that'll be great!
Quote:ok, in three weeks?

lol ... more realistic I'm legatus legionis by then ;-) )

Quote:yes, sure. that'll be great!

welcome aboard! ... from time to time I'll make a poll on RAT regarding the fate of your character ;-) )
Quote:I can live with the way my writing career was summarized at the Wiki.
Just discovered I'm there too -- "ancient historian" not "Scottish nobleman"! (Who writes these things?! :? )
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Decius:1q9pza9t Wrote:ok, in three weeks?

lol ... more realistic I'm legatus legionis by then ;-) )

Quote:yes, sure. that'll be great!

welcome aboard! ... from time to time I'll make a poll on RAT regarding the fate of your character ;-) )

i'm excited! :o
Stuff I have written that's been published has been screen and movie reviews, but for the last decade or so it has been academic stuff.

If anyone is interested in the educational psychology of college level collaborative learning--I'm your man. :lol: (Actually, if there really is anybody on here interested in that stuff--a shot in the dark, but ya never know--my vita is here: [url:31ktzggc]http://www.teachingcoach.org/vita/MichaelSweet.pdf[/url])

How cool would that be--to collaborate in our "grown up" lives and have the same Roman interest, too?! Big Grin

Have any other writers on this board ever collaborated?

-M
Michael Sweet, Ph.D.
Viking Invasion [url:31zephj0]http://www.vikinginvasion.org[/url]
interesting stuff, you are doing Michael, had myself some lectures on work/cognitive & social psychology ...lifelong learning and so on... looking at your vita I'm surprised you have so much time for your hobbies Big Grin
I am actually jealous of all the folks on this board who have published novels and short stories.

I wrote my share of fiction in high school, but the deeper I got into school, the less I was able to. . . I dunno, believe my own imaginary stories I guess.

Creativity comes in many forms, but nonetheless my hat is sincerely off to all you folks who can cut loose and fictionalize. Big Grin

-M
Michael Sweet, Ph.D.
Viking Invasion [url:31zephj0]http://www.vikinginvasion.org[/url]