Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
making a gladiator belt
Quote:That's not actually what I'm talking about, it's more to do with the leather being more prone to wear and tear because of the way the holes are made. However, the support from the brass might negate that, unlike a normal belt. All of the tips and techniques I've read about making holes in leather advises an awl or a blade to keep the grain intact and reduce the chance of tearing.

And that's totally true if you look at small scale, so I would also always advice to don't drill in leather, and use a awl instead. It's definatelly better for the leather in general.
ALA I BATAVORUM
If you use the awl, you don't take away any material: you make a hole "separating" the leather. The drill cuts and trhrow away material.

When you pass the thread throught the hole make with the owl, the hole stretches again and the separated material have tendence to join at his natural position.

When you pass the thread trought the hole make with the drill, that "joint" effect don't work.

In that kind of piece i think that have not a great importance. In shoes or another leather, a hole drilled causes the thread don't strech and close correctly.
Just found out I didn't post pictures of the rest of the progress (and the finished piece.

Here only one side has been stiched, using 2 needles method.
[Image: DSC05517.jpg]

Ant 2 pictures of the finished piece. (It need to be cleaned up again)

[Image: DSC05569.jpg]

[Image: DSC05570.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Nice work! 8) Which period could this one be used for? Or is this just gladiator in general?

Btw the patina on it looks good, so why would you want to clean it? It will get dirty anyway.. :roll: :lol:

Greetz,
Manuel Peters
The design originates from the samnites, so is early, but it was still in use by gladiators in the 3rd century AD, as is shows by statues and stele.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Ok, clear. Thanks. :wink:
Manuel Peters

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a good gladiator armguard Invictus_Thrax 4 5,764 09-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs