Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome Total War
Quote:Thanks chaps

Byron - have tried the little box at the bottom......no joy.

Jasper - I've not left it for over a minute... BUT..... this is the second disc I've got.... I took it back and changed it and installed the latest DIVX stuff, thingy, wotsit.... Iam sure it is not my machine??

Mark.
Mark
Lets see if I can use those years and years of playing video games for good LOL.

This problem some how sounds like a refresh rate issue/frequency issue with the monitor. Odd before I can get a line on an accurate fix to the problem let me get some info from you if you wouldn't mind.

What resolution are you running at., What is the refresh rate, and what is the frequency of the monitor. This is actually a common place issue on a lot of the new games coming out. I know RTW is by no means a new game, but the issue is usually the fact that equipment is out pacing the software.

Possible issues/ the games default refresh rate is not as Gaius would like to say LOL "Not playing with each other" which is what would cause the game to fire up but not give you any of the visual satisfaction.

Issue too, I have seen this myself , sometimes you have to reinstall the direct X drivers that actually came with the game, In a standerd XP/2000 setup this should only add the needed files specifically that are not part of the existing drivers.

(As I know RA is all about citing references =) but this is all personal first hand knowledge.)

Issue three might be simply the fact the system is either too slow for the game and cannot cope with the graphical lay out, Or is so new that an older game is having issues due to various reasons. Examples of these reasons/ One 64 bit systems have issues SOMETIMES, RARELY!!! but playing games that were designed for a 32 bit system/ Vista nough said LOL the operating system itself is an issue. Due to the fact that Vista was released to the public as part of the testing there are alot of issues with that operating system. I'm looking to give you a plethora of options before more drastic measures are taken.

Now if you have replaced the disk already I can safely assume it is not the game it self.

Another option and this a real meek option and I do not mean to offend but are you installing it and playing it before a system restart. Simple, Retart your machine after installing.

Now besides divx being updated I believe RTW actually has a specific script installed into the directX installation that it requires to run. Hence the direct x drivers have to be used.

Alright suggestion section over lets get ya Fixed!!

I am leaning to the primary option being the drivers, I have had this issue happen before myself, almost word for word same, and after I installed the existing drivers with the game it went away, even thought I was using Directx on a 64 bit system it fixed the problem

Step one insert disk and wait for splash screen.

Options on the splash screen are as follows:

Play Romw: Total war
uninstall
links
Extras
support
quit.
Was going to provides screen shot LOL but those were being a pain in my arse.
Now as you see above I have Extras underlined, Click that option.

First option is directX, Click that.
Accept the changes and install the driver, Now I ahve stated above I know most people are past the version of direct x that comes with the game DX9.0c, but when this installs it will search for missing components that are specific to the game and install those only, this should not affect your currently installed version of directX

Once thats installed restart your system and try firing up the game. If this does not fix the game. Please post and let me know what it did. I will watch this topic so as to help as soon as possible.

Last but not least I had to throw my two sense in on the RS/RTR debate. I am a huge fan of RTR, i like the work done the map and the time period. As I am a huge fan of mods for all my games, Was part of several modification teams for a few games, Mostly the battlefield series, but exclusive. Mods are what keeps a five year old game seem like you jsut picked it up today. I was really looking forward to playing RS or even europa barbarium. My only issue that has stopped me from playing is the installation issue. Now I am not sure if its RS or EB but one of them require to uninstall your game and reinstall to your core hard drive??? Why would do that?? Its make the game tax your system resources by the pathway default install. With the mod being in the core harddrive, ecvverytime your computer searches for something it will have to scan that game as part of the search where if its installed to the standerd spot. Sure I do see the benifit of a faster load time for the game itself. Or is this the reason so the game can access the installation faster??. Also I ahve RTW RTW:BI, and RTR. to install a new mod like this I would have to dumb the countless day months weeks and hours of play already in the vanilla versions of the game. But if everyone is raving how awesome these are maybe like tacitu's missing section of the annals, Ill have to resign to let that history silently slip into the past.
Marcus Antonius Gracchus
AKA: Chris Cich
Legate X Legion Historical Group, Wisconsin

"My Soldiers of the Tenth", Caesar yelled, Live up to your tradition of bravery, Keep your nerve, Meet the enemies attacks with boldness and we will win the day".
No, you dont have to dump everything, just load a new version of the vanilla RTW, and download the mod into that directory. There are step by step instructions on what to do somewhere in this thread or one of the other threads that deals with RTW RS.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
thanks my friend will I definitly look into that more thanks I looks forward to new battle as I am like addicted to RTW
Marcus Antonius Gracchus

"My Soldiers of the Tenth", Caesar yelled, Live up to your tradition of bravery, Keep your nerve, Meet the enemies attacks with boldness and we will win the day".
Mornin' All

Thanks for the time and effort Chris - much appreciated.

I will take your comments home, see what happens and report back sir.

Many thanks again

Mark.
Noli Nothis permittere te terere!!

Mark.
Any Time If anyone else ever needs any Computer help Let me know. I do tech support and quality assurance for a living =), Even willing to teach computer class =)
Marcus Antonius Gracchus

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Players needed Rome Total War Warrior of Italia 7 3,189 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Stug50
  Rome 2 Total Realism 3 released JaM 2 5,867 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Timus
  Rome: Total War II rononmaximus 250 89,107 10-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: womble67