Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to find cheap roman 28 mm minatures that look human?
Does anyone know where I could obtain cheap roman (Army of the Principate 100-290 A.D) historically minatures (metal or plastic, or both) that are cheap
good quality, very detailed, have round bases, and look natural and human, not ugly and chunky. BTW what paints would you reccomend for said minatures?
http://www.warlordgames.co.uk
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
It's a matter of taste, I fear. 28mm figs tend to be somewhat overdrawn. Have you taken a look at the linklist in this subforum? For classic Romans from Trajan's reign onwards I strongly recommend Wargames Foundry; they were sculpted by the talented Perry twins and are quite good if put together in units.

There's also a (very small) range of 30mm Romans by Andrea Miniatures. if realism is your main aspect.

The only miniatures for the later 2nd/3rdc AD I know come from A&A Miniatures, but I'm not sure they are, what you're aiming for.

Paints: Go for acrylic ones, not the old Revell enamel. There are many, many manufacturers. Only to name the few I have: Games Workshop is expensive, but easily available and good to use. A bit cheaper, but not so easy to handle, are Vallejo (Game/Model) colours. At last, if you're not a fan of mixing your own shades and highlights (like me), try the three-colour-sets by Wargames Foundry; absolutely worth their price.
Tilman
Thank you. What I meant by the dates was that I wanted to be able to field roman troops with the segmenata, scutum, gladius, and pilum, alongside troops such as clibanarii and look reasonably historically accurate
Quote:Thank you. What I meant by the dates was that I wanted to be able to field roman troops with the segmenata, scutum, gladius, and pilum, alongside troops such as clibanarii and look reasonably historically accurate

Sounds like you're playing Fields of Glory. I can only echo Lupianus and Jasper for figures. The new plastics have lots of potential, but since I've had my Romans for over 20 years now, They're pretty much going to stay as they are. (Any body still got the old Citadel Romans besides me?)

Actual use of troops called Clibinarii by the Romans seems to be 4th century, not 1st through 3rd, so you're out of luck there. There is mention of cataphracts in use in the 2nd-3rd century, but whether those guys are actually fully armored men on armored horses like the Dura graffitti, or some Sarmatian auxiliaries (in which case, they might still be using a lance, but are probably lesser armored) is probably dependent on where in the empire you are.
Robert Sulentic

Uti possedetis.
One of the best mini's I've come across so far are those from Esci. well they are 24 mm, but if you make some compromise ... Smile

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Rev ... C&code=224

I used them on my diorama
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22537

the other figurines are from Revell. Forget about them.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Painted Minatures? Vitapondera 16 4,334 11-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Narukami