Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperium Romanum
I downloaded the demo version of Imperium Romanum last night. Has anyone else tried it? I was a somewhat disappointed as I seemed to be face-to-face with yet another civilisation type game. You know, build houses, plant trees and build a city. What I had seen earlier on the net looked more like a military game.

I have a suspicion that after building a city you may have the capability to raise large military units and repel attackers etc, but the first viewing would not entice me to leave RTW,RTR,RS etc etc.

I will explore it a little further, but a city builder I am not!!! Meanwhile, I have an appointment in Tingi with some rather troublesome Free Peoples!
Quintus
(aka Guido Aston)
Quintus
AKA Guido Aston

[size=100:2nyk19du]The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. [/size]
Thucydides (471 BC - 400 BC)
I have this game and yes it is a decent city builder with a Roman feel but a military game it is not. Yes you can build military units but the battles are very simple affair, just point and click. So if you like city building and like Romans then fine, buy enjoy, if you are looking for something similar to RTW steer clear.
Have you tried HPS's Gallic Wars, turnbased classic style computer wargame. Worth looking at.
Martin
You are spot on. I played it bit more with it and discovered the military aspect, which is simplistic to say the least. I will Google Gallic Wars and see if I can find it. I have found 58BC which is an RTW mod and it is my next game after Roma Serrectum - which is getting tougher as my 'empire' grows.

Cheers
Quintus
(aka Guido Aston)
Quintus
AKA Guido Aston

[size=100:2nyk19du]The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. [/size]
Thucydides (471 BC - 400 BC)
Other Roman games worth a try...demo at least:
Legion Arena
Legion Gold
HPS Punic Wars
Rise and Fall of Civilisations
Pax Romana
and best of all released on April 18th the Rome expansion for Europa Universalis III
Martin