Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"10 Most Historically Inaccurate Movies" - Yahoo!
I was able to avoid "Pathfinder", thank the odd gods of the Galaxy, so I will say that "300" was the worst, followed closely by "King Arthur". I condemn "300" because I have run into so many kids who really believe that the Battle of Thermopylae was as portrayed in that god-forsaken film. Remember that we live in a post-literate culture where many of our citizens get whatever information they have from the movies, TV, and the 'Net. I feel very strongly that this places a very much greater burden upon those who make and market historical films to be accurate. So far, I have been repeatedly and terribly disappointed.

As to "King Arthur", the portrayal of Bishop Germanus in particular and Christianity in general was so bloody distorted as to be sickening. I mean, how in the heck did we get the worst of the Inquisition operating north of the Wall around 500 CE? Further, what in heck was a senatorial class Roman family doing living north of the Wall, for God's sake? And then there was Keira Knightly's B&D leather outfit that I am certain that Pictish women commonly wore. Hey, and didn't you LOVE that spatha that Arthur took from his daddy's grave?

Actually, I found the business of the battle on the frozen lake to be among the least distressing parts once you accepted that it was plagiarized from Sergei Eisenstein's classic "Alexander Nevsky." The incident actually happened where the Teutonic Knights charged out onto frozen Lake Priepus and had the ice give way beneath them. The Russians call it "The Miracle of the Ice."

As a recommendation for historical accuracy, try Ridley Scott's "The Duellists." It catches the ambience of the Napoleonic hussars to a "T" and the costuming is spectacularly accurate. The dueling scenes are the best that I have ever seen.
I for the record liked Troy and King Arthur for their action and atmosphere, despite being horrified at the attire and story logic at times. I somehow still enjoy them as movies in their own right. Still hoping for a historically accurate Iliad movie, so I guess I'll have to make it myself....

As for historically accurate movies, one has to remember the ultimate reenactor film: Gettysburg. Darned impressive, although not being an expert on the Civil War I can't speak too much as to the equipment and tactics. But I heartily enjoy the film and pull it out every year or so.
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
Quote:Yes, he is the guy on the pic. He is extraordinarily proud of this picture, as he made the armour himself.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

... as far as me, he would have deserved the Hasta Pura for his impression Big Grin
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
"Napoleonics" is an interest of mine too, and I can endorse Hugh's comments....in fact "The Duellists" is one of my favourite films....it is even difficult to fault the fencing scenes (correct 19C, rather than modern, techniques are used)....a very hard film to nit-pick, which goes to show Movie-makers can get it more or less right when they choose to !!
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Nobody speak of "Sabotage!" still?
The Waterloo battle, with Stephen Fry (again after Blackadder) as Wellington?

It was historically correct in many ways, but it was such a rubish...and thinking it could be done better only angers me more :evil:

BTW: It was filmed near my city, in some of the sceneries of the so called "Vittoria" Wellington´s battle of the Peninsular War (BTW: the 200th aniversary of the begining is this year...the 2 of May in Madrid )
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Quote:As for historically accurate movies, one has to remember the ultimate reenactor film: Gettysburg. Darned impressive, although not being an expert on the Civil War I can't speak too much as to the equipment and tactics. But I heartily enjoy the film and pull it out every year or so.

Paullus,
I am glad that you mentioned Gettysburg as it is a perfect example of the old saying "Be careful what you wish for, you may get it!" When the movie was released it created a ton of public interest, but the mutterings of those we Civ War reenactors affectionately call stitch nazis soon began. "Too many fat over-forty glasses-wearing soldiers".... "That type of jacket wasn't issued until '64"... on and on ad nauseam. When It came time to cast and design the prequel "Gods and Generals" they worked very hard to get it right this time. Unfortunately, they should have concentrated more on plot and flow of the movie. The result was an emotional and financial let down. Let's concentrate on improving accuracy when working with folks like the History Channel and BBC and let Tinseltown do what it does best. Once we raise the expectations of general public Hollywood will come around on it's own. We have to get them in the tent before we can preach 'em the gospel.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:
Memmia:2tl5p8sz Wrote:Yes, he is the guy on the pic. He is extraordinarily proud of this picture, as he made the armour himself.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

... as far as me, he would have deserved the Hasta Pura for his impression Big Grin

best roman impression I've ever seen for sure.
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
Before there was "Gladiator" there was "Titus" (1999) with Anthony Hopkins. No wonder the former was so well received after the latter bombed at the box office.

I could only stand to watch the first five minutes before I ripped it out of the VCR. When I saw the "Roman" army marching toward the Colosseum I thought I was watching "Time Bandits" and screamed "WTF ??!!" :lol:

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:
Tiberius Clodius Corvinus:379cko36 Wrote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:379cko36 Wrote:my cleo is no Joking matter :wink: :lol:

....does this mean you are the guy on the pic?!? Confusedhock: :wink: :lol:

Yes, he is the guy on the pic. He is extraordinarily proud of this picture, as he made the armour himself. Big Grin

Right, the lot of you, off to the Colessium...... :evil:

Guards, Thwow them tew the wions!!!!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, "Titus" was based on Shakespeare's "Titus Andronicus," and Shalespeare was guilty of the occasional anachronism.
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ten Most Historically Inaccurate Movies D B Campbell 41 5,502 08-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Nearco
  Yahoo speaks out...?? Arthes 1 845 03-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Yahoo Romans richsc 7 1,561 03-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Caballo