Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"10 Most Historically Inaccurate Movies" - Yahoo!
I'm not even really going to start on Troy aside from I was pissed off and the annoying thing was that everyone around me loved the movie. That movie gave me a start of an idea of what hell is like. Troy plays 24 hours a day and everyone acts like you're a mental defective for not enjoying it. One point though I have to mention is that they condensed the whole Iliad down from ten years to ten days. Scrapes and wounds people took hadn't even turned into scars by the end of the movie.

We Were Soldiers was a good movie and accurate enough definately. Mel Gibson deserves credit for that one, but it would be nice if he could do a movie right that isn't in a setting fresh in recent memory. You know, something that requires a bit of research. If Mel Gibson hadn't lived roughly during the Vietnam era and has known people that did he might have dressed the actors up in kilts again.
Derek D. Estabrook
You mean they didn't wear kilts in Viet Nam? :?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
You're right I forgot, they wore kilts sown with the flesh of dead VC. Oh, and everybody had a necklace of human body parts. Thats how they designated rank because your uniform would get so dirty.

Actually, I guess with as much mythos and falsehood that does surround Vietnam era movies it is a much greater achievement than most of us give the movie credit for. Mel Gibson definately deserves some serious credit for the movie. It was really nice seeing a Vietnam movie that actually portrayed them as soldiers and not like a bunch of redneck serial killers fresh from Appalachia turned loose among the undeserving Asian continent, except for the hero who is the pacifist voice of reason as he disobeys orders and cowers most of the time.
Derek D. Estabrook
Since we're placing Vietnam War movies in the historical category, let's not forget John Wayne's "The Green Berets." I saw that one when it premiered at Ft. Bragg. I was in Special Forces Training Group there and so was most of the audience. We laughed until it actually hurt. You'd think it was deliberately made as a madcap comedy instead of a wonderfully inept attempt to make a WWII movie about Vietnam. By the end we were so exhausted from laughing that we thought we could laugh no more. then came the final scene on the beach at Cam Ranh Bay. Wayne says to the unbearably cute little kid: "After all, you're what this war is all about." Then someone who'd actually been to Cam Ranh spoke up: "That sun is setting in the east!"
Yes, in this one Wayne actually outdid "The Conqueror."
Pecunia non olet
marcus antonius and cleopatra in HBOs Rome

[Image: Bac285-272.jpg]
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
I know there was allot wrong with the King Arthur movie, but I still find the whole premise a whole lot more paletable than the book I just finished "The Eagle".
I mean costumes aside, the basic plotline and character origins worked better for me.
Q. ARTORIVS CORVINVS
aka: Phillip Vautour
"Rome is but a wilderness of tigers, and tigers must prey."
<a class="postlink" href="http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi">http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi
Quote:[

Did anyone else notice that the same actor who played the sniper in Pvt Ryan played the photographer in We Were Soldiers? He gave outstanding performances in both roles IMHO.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Well, I have discovered by reading this post no one has mentioned the obvious, The Last Legion come on folks you cant get any more inaccurate than that. From what I remember of the movie the only accurate thing was that the IX Legion really was in Britain, and the Goths really did take over Rome. But watching it was like watching the Smithsonian blow up, that's how bad it hurt.

On the side of the movie itself, the storyline was original and if you could view it only as a fiction story it was good but when Legion is in the title you expect a bit more.
Go in peace, and may the light of Lugh shine on your path
Divitiacus: Priest and brehon of the Druid order
Commander of the Brayden Cael
(AKA Justin Hawley)
Quote:marcus antonius and cleopatra in HBOs Rome

[Image: Bac285-272.jpg]

ahhhhh, not quite mate! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
this was supposed to be a joke :wink:
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
Quote:Well, I have discovered by reading this post no one has mentioned the obvious, The Last Legion come on folks you cant get any more inaccurate than that. From what I remember of the movie the only accurate thing was that the IX Legion really was in Britain, and the Goths really did take over Rome. But watching it was like watching the Smithsonian blow up, that's how bad it hurt.

On the side of the movie itself, the storyline was original and if you could view it only as a fiction story it was good but when Legion is in the title you expect a bit more.

I knew that one would be so far off i have not even bothered to see it yet. I guess i do it a shot, perhaps if i go into it with low expectations i may be surprised.

And I thought HBO Rome wasn't to bad, the plot line had a lot of "creativity" to it I know, so that did take it away from historical accuracy, but i thought from what we have seen in Roman productions that Rome gave us the best costumes to date, barring the legionary helmets and the senators ragged togas. Overall i thought it was great, easily my favorite show ever.
AKA Travis S.
my cleo is no Joking matter :wink: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:my cleo is no Joking matter :wink: :lol:

....does this mean you are the guy on the pic?!? Confusedhock: :wink: :lol:
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:fvh7ubhx Wrote:my cleo is no Joking matter :wink: :lol:

....does this mean you are the guy on the pic?!? Confusedhock: :wink: :lol:

Yes, he is the guy on the pic. He is extraordinarily proud of this picture, as he made the armour himself. Big Grin
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
P.S. He made his own gladius too, he never had a ruler at the time, so had to do it all freehand. Big Grin

Not bad for a first attempt :wink:
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ten Most Historically Inaccurate Movies D B Campbell 41 5,574 08-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Nearco
  Yahoo speaks out...?? Arthes 1 860 03-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Yahoo Romans richsc 7 1,579 03-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Caballo