Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iberian Helmets
Hi guys. Some of you might know I am the Art Director over at Wildfire Games and we are developing an ancient themed PC game called "0 A.D." Right now we are delving into the art for Iberian faction in the game. We want to be as historically accurate as possible in our artwork so I am looking for good references for Iberian helmets. Unfortunately on the web utilizing Google image search there seems to be a dearth of good Iberian images period, let alone helmets. Can anyone post some good Iberian helmet references here, whether they be artistic reconstructions or actual finds? I'd be much obliged and you would be helping us make a game that is as historically accurate as possible. Smile
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Osprey do an Enemies of Rome title for Spanish armies.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Tarbicus wrote:-
Quote:Osprey do an Enemies of Rome title for Spanish armies.
.........uuuh...uuuuh!....contains many errors....see Professor Fernando Qesada's letter in AW, and generally. Naturally depends on what period ( 5-4 C B.C, Punic Wars, Republican era rebels......all different, Michael !! :? ) )
I suggest you P.M. Fernando ( a fellow RAT menber), and he will doubtless point you in the right direction........
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Sorry, the period for the Iberians in our game is late Punic Wars/early Republican era rebels. Helmets can range from Celtiberii to Lusitani. Hope that helps. Smile
Contact with Lucius Alfenus Avitianus here in RAT, or directly try with the Archeology museums in Spain...

I know there is at least one Iberian reenactment group, "Ibercalafell" AFAIR :?

I hope this will help you... :wink:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Ibercalafell gets me to a Spanish language discussion forum with not very many topics... hmmm.. I'll keep looking around.
Hello Mythos,

Try with a search in spanish in google, for example "Cascos Iberos". You'll find lots of illustrations among the results. Most Iberians used a leather helmet with or without a crest; that's the reason for not having many at the museums today.

Good luck with the game (I'm also in the industry).
Hi Mythos!

There are different types of iberian (not celtiberians) helmets, depending on the geographical area and the cronological moment. But in general we can say that:

The most common and the most ancient iberian helmet type is made of leather, sometimes with any bronce or iron decorative pieces and high plumes. These are ancient models in use before the roman presence in the Iberian Peninsula, from 5th cent. to early III cent. b. C. Unfortunately, there is no archaeological evidence of them. The most important source to know what kind of helmets carried the iberian warriors of that period is the iconography and scuplture (the warriors of Porcuna in Andalousia is the most important reference).
This kind of leather helmets are documented too in the southeast of the Iberian Peninsula, thanks to one example of iron crest (like the Cigarralejo necropolis one) and in any bronze votive statuettes from the east of the Iberian Peninsula (Moixent warrior).

During the 2nd Punic wars, many iberian warriors serve in the Carthaginian army or the Roman army as allies. So, they adopt the Montefortino bronze type without checkpieces (it seems to have been a hindrance to the iberian warriors), overall in the south east and central areas of the Iberian Peninsula, with the Ebro river as a kind of cultural frontier.
To the north of this river, the iberian culture traditionally received gallic/celtic influences. So, the most common type of helmet there was the iron celtic of La Tene (Can Miralles and Vallfogona de Balaguer) from 4th to 2nd cent. b. C.

During the roman advance to the celtiberian territories (2nd cent. b. C.), the montefortino and other types of bronze helmets like the Samnitic type (like the Numancia one) are probably captured to the roman defeated legionaries and used by celtiberians. It seems to be clear that usually, celtiberian warriors didn't use metallic helmets until the roman presence in their territories, excluding the Alpasenque iron type, datable in 5th cent. b. C.

Indeed, we're trying to reproduce iberian leather helmets from 5th to 3rd cent. b. C.
Anyway, If you want, i can send you images of some original helmets from Spain and our reenactment version. Send me your mail in a private message. It will be a pleasure to help you in all i can.

All this information can be really entended by prof. Fernando Quesada Sanz, actually the best iberian panoply expert of Spain.

And sorry, but our webpage is still under construction...

Greetings from Laitania!
José Miguel Gallego
www.artifexcrpa.com

DELENDA EST ROMA
Let me try to help. All images copyright

Andalusia/South East, Iberian, 5th c. BC. Chieftain
Andalusia. From Porcuna Monument. 5th century BC. Chieftains and aristocratic warriors
Iberian Area (Andalusia, Mediterranean coast).
4th to early 2nd centuries BC
Upper part: Celtiberian, early 4th C BC
Lower: Iberian, 4th-3rd c. BC
Images from pottery vases. Iberia (Sant Miquel de Lliria, Valencia). 2nd Punic War (end 3rd C BC)
Celtiberian chieftain using captured and modified equipment, including modified Roman Auxiliary helmet of Italic type. Mid 2nd c. BC
Celtiberian bronze helmet. Ordinary. Not very common. Late 4th to early 2nd c BC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iberian \"Sinew\" Helmets and Lliria Vase Armour oudysseos 16 6,994 12-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Last Post: richard robinson