Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help!
Hello, I just signed on here in hopes of answering a simple question that is driving me MAD. I am a fan of Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series, I'm currently reading "Antony and Cleopatra." At any rate, I have been going crazy trying to remember the name and symbolism of the red (I believe) "ribbon" worn by Roman generals, the band that ties around their body armor and could only be tied on by the owner. I believe it was a mark of honor, but I cannot remember the name, the exact explanation of this band and have had no luck online.

TIA for your help, I'm sure this is a no-brainer for this group. I'd go back to my other books, but they are all packed away, as we just moved.
Salve,

Please add your real name to your signature, that's a rule here. Also, questions like this should be posted in the Roman Military History section.

To answer your question:

Do you mean the 'herculanian knot' or 'Herakles knot'?

Here's info on it and a lot of pictures:

http://astro.temple.edu/~tlclark/lorica ... m#herakles

Vale
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
YES! Thank you.

This raises an interesting question. I believe McCullough suggested in her novel that this sash/knot was an honorary decoration of great import, and while all other pieces of the general's wardrobe were donned with the assistance of a dresser, only the general himself could tie on the knot. Is this, then, McCullough's personal take and beyond the realm of historical fact? I am not suggesting that we gather all our history from novels, I like fact far more than fiction, but she did seem to do her homework. I'm uncertain on this point, would love to hear any and all input, I am a true novice in this area. Would the wearer alone tie it because of its apotropaic function?

And thanks so much, I thought I was going to pull all my hair out looking for that one specific piece!
You're welcome :wink:

I would think it's a personal theory of McCullough, unless there's evidence about the knot that I don't know of.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Again, thanks. I'll have to check in here more often. Big Grin
I have always thought that this was the symbol of the patrician class, as in the laticlave infact the name is I believe cingalum militiare.
Brian Stobbs
Should we move this post to the "Roman Military History & Archaeology" section?

Graham Sumner refers to that sash as the "Zona." His Osprey books don't say much about it, but perhaps his forthcoming book on Roman military clothing will be able to provide you with more info.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
Topic moved. Smile

And Chaofa, please add a signature and put your real name in it. It's a forum rule! thanks.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]