Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you change history?
If you could back in time for 1 hour and affect the fate of Rome, where and when would you go and what would you do?
L. Cornelius Scaeva (Jim Miller)
Legio VI VPF

"[The Romans understood] it is not walls that protect men but men that protect walls" - Strabo
Id go to Teutoburg Forest, 9 A.D. Give Varus a heads up.
AKA Travis S.
Prevent Paul from going to Damascus, and see what happened to Christianity.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Perhaps stop the traitors Cassius and Brutus on the Ides of March. Would have been REAL interesting to see what would have become of the Republic/Empire had Caesar lived.
AKA Travis S.
One hour? Does it have to be all at the same time and place? I could do alot of jumping around and make a bunch of fun changes and see what happens.

1. Edited

2. Give Caesar a breastplate under his toga and a few soldiers right outside to run in right away.

3. Edited because we don't talk about religion here. 8)
Timothy Hanna
Tell some friends so more funny things can happen. With my remaining time, I'd fill in Tarquinius Superbus on that punk Brutus' plans, then come back and wonder why 'republic' doesn't appear in Websters' dictionary..

Friend 1 snatches Commodus at 14 years of age, brings him back and puts him to work in Hot Topic.

Friend 2 gives Caracatus a trainload of AK47s and instruction, then comes back and has to learn Celtic as a Second Language.

Friend 3 hypnotizes Augustus on his deathbed, and makes him put a clause in his will that if his successors should ever show themselves to be blemished or unstable, they are automatically disqualified; heading off the likes of Caligula, Domitian, and Nero. Forgets to mention it's a Celtic idea :lol:

Friend 4 brings a whole pharmacopea back and saves Germanicus' life. I always thought a guy like him would make a great Emperor.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
i would take a football with me and teach the romans how to play.
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
I wouldn't change anything, because I don't think that would be right, but I would have a now-a-days famous tunic-color-debate with some soldiers and officers Big Grin (not to mention to ask about crests, scutum emblems, etc)
ALA I BATAVORUM
you could steal a attic helmet ... Big Grin
Quote:I wouldn't change anything, because I don't think that would be right, but I would have a now-a-days famous tunic-color-debate with some soldiers and officers Big Grin (not to mention to ask about crests, scutum emblems, etc)

Here Here!

You can't change the past (Back to the Future not withstanding) but you sure could learn a lot, even in a single hour.

However...

If we were going to change something -- how about preventing the destruction of the library at Alexandria? Imagine what we could learn if those books had survived.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I would have given the Romans a mound of chocolate. They could have bribed Boudicca with it after Prasutagus died.

I mean, looking at Tacitus' description of Boudicca, she sounds like she would have been partial to the odd chocolate bar or ten :lol:
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Make sure that Demetrios son of Philip the 5th, who was hostage in Rome survived.
Then smuggle him back to Greece and made sure Perseus "had an accident".
Then I would stay and watch the outcome of Pydna!

Kind regards
An hour, mmm keep Caesar alive and kicking that would be interesting.
Varus already had recieved a tip off from Arminius' brother, so I doubt he'd listen to me perhaps organising his disappearance might save the three legions. And with my final 10 minutes I'd visit pompeii and Herculaneum the day before the eruption and see if I could encourage more to leave (who knows the difference their descendents would make in history)

kind thoughts
Materfamillias
Deborah Glennie
Member of the Vicus [url:jwqvknmp]http://www.vicus.org.uk/[/url]

[Image: S5000909.jpg]
my idea: to make the mullet popular in ancient rome.

[Image: augustusbeard.jpg]
Quote:my idea: to make the mullet popular in ancient rome.

[Image: augustusbeard.jpg]

Confusedhock:

It's Tony Iommi!
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum