Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newcastle (Pons Aelius) Bridge, Vallum and Fort (info needed
Quote:
PhilusEstilius:t3t3srw2 Wrote:I shall take a look at google earth for you Yuri, and in that way I shall be able to estimate just how far the fort sits behind the Wall.
Mike Bishop has helpfully posted a Google Earth view of the Newcastle fort (site of) here. Bit of a mess, isn't it?

Chesters (my alternative suggestion) is much nicer! Smile

I have contacted Mike Bishop regarding the fort and the bridge, and will be contacting the Newcastle Antiquarian Society (as they hold all the Archae. Aelia. books) and ask them about the 30th edition.

Sadly I am studying at nottingham at the moment, but my residence is actually right close to newcastle! (this obscure place called Consett)...

Thanks for the plans and sketches, I believe this helps a lot. If, as shown, the fort connected to the wall, then now all we need is to sort out the bridge. Could it be possible the bridge was located directly south of one of the Milecastles rather than the fort itself? It all traffic passed through the milecastles and not through the forts this would make sense (this echos another thread which im sure Mr. Campbell and Brian remember) Big Grin
I think we must thank Mr Campbell for his efforts in getting these pics of Newcastle and Chesters,the Newcastle one of course only shows the castle keep which is ok for general location of the fort position. I would suggest however for Yuri that he go onto the Google earth site type in Northumberland in the Fly to, then this way there will be an overall view of the City. Then with the zoom one can get much better views of the castle keep in relation to the swing bridge, and of course the long Westgate Road going west out of the city for this is the line of the Wall.
Brian Stobbs
The fort of Danum is between Arbeia and Segadunum, however it is on the South side of the Tyne at Jarrow and todate has never been found. If we follow the line of Hadrians'Wall where it leaves the south east corner of Segadunum towards the river, this points at Jarrow on the south side of the Tyne. There have been attempts by archaeologists from Arbeia to find this fort however without any good results, for they were searching in the area of the Bede Monastry and the fort is not there. If we look at 18th and 19th centuary maps there is a field known as camp field at Jarrow maybe this should ring a bell.
Brian Stobbs
I do hope that Yuri will not consider he is being taken over right now, but I agree that the Chesters link given is much better. This one helps to show just a little of what I mentioned about 3 Bath houses at Chesters, and one of the others shows it's location nicely. If we look down towards the river from the North gate following the line of the fort wall, we reach a small round bush by the river. When we come back just a little on this direction there is a pale patch in the grass not far from the bush, and this is where there is another Bath House strangely North of Hadrians' Wall........I must point out that this is not just a load of nonsence and idea, for when I worked with English Heritage at this Roman site I had the opportunity of standing inside of it.
Brian Stobbs
HI YURI, have a look at your P M
Brian Stobbs
Quote:HI YURI, have a look at your P M

I seem to have none :roll:
Hi Yuri try the PM again
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Hi Yuri try the PM again

Still nothing :?
Quote:I think we must thank Mr Campbell for his efforts in getting these pics of Newcastle and Chesters.
Glad to help.

Quote:If, as shown, the fort connected to the wall, then now all we need is to sort out the bridge.
I think you may have misread the plan, Yuri.
No-one is quite sure where Hadrian's Wall lies in relation to the Newcastle fort, but it certainly seems that the fort was free-standing, some way behind the Wall.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
The general views have been that the Westgate road is the line of Hadrians' Wall, this is the only road in the City that is absoloutely straight and comes all the way down from the fort of Condercum to about 100yrds above the Castle Keep.Therefore I would also say the fort has to be standing back from the wall, however with a projected line from the north end of the swing bridge the roman road passed the fort on its east side.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:
Marcus Petronius Maius:2tmqieah Wrote:]If, as shown, the fort connected to the wall, then now all we need is to sort out the bridge.
I think you may have misread the plan, Yuri.
No-one is quite sure where Hadrian's Wall lies in relation to the Newcastle fort, but it certainly seems that the fort was free-standing, some way behind the Wall.

Yes I did misread it, I've seen now how it looks. Thanks.

Quote:The general views have been that the Westgate road is the line of Hadrians' Wall, this is the only road in the City that is absoloutely straight and comes all the way down from the fort of Condercum to about 100yrds above the Castle Keep.Therefore I would also say the fort has to be standing back from the wall, however with a projected line from the north end of the swing bridge the roman road passed the fort on its east side.

Thanks Brian, that helps a lot.
Please forgive my horrendous paint skills and any misinformation in the following sketch, but this is what I have so far:
I have had a look at your line drawing Yuri and I find it totaly wrong, this is from the fact that I have just had a look at google earth. I came back here to correct my previous post by saying that both myself and Mr. Campbell have it incorrect. Hadrians'Wall has to connect with the fort of the Pons Aelius, for the line drawing put forward by Mr Campbell dictates exactly that. This is where the excavations show the Commanders house,these are to the north west corner of the keep and the projected idea of where the fort wall may be puts the fort right on the wall......P S turn your line drawing fort through 90 degrees and put it on the left side of the mile castle on the right overlapping the wall and I'd say you have it correct.
Brian Stobbs
What about this?
Damn! I just realised I forgot to turn the fort 90 degrees. Brian ignore the fort positioning, imagine it is 90 degrees and tell me what you think.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hadrian\'s Wall "vallum" D B Campbell 17 3,070 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Roman coffin from Newcastle brennivs - tony drake 1 1,243 08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Last Post: le Cavalier Invisible
  Legio XXI Rapax, info needed Sardaukar 3 2,763 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell