Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newcastle (Pons Aelius) Bridge, Vallum and Fort (info needed
Quote:
MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS:2rwh64zj Wrote:I do not know how it would be with Pons Aelius. The sketches seem to show it did not connect, but as you have said yourself Brian, this makes little sense and although the fort was built after the wall I see no reason why not simply join it to the wall like every other fort along its length.
You may be in danger of circular reasoning here, Yuri.

It is generally accepted, for various reasons, that the Newcastle fort was a later addition to Hadrian's Wall. One of these reasons (as far as I understand it) is the fact that it was not bonded into the curtain of Hadrian's Wall. Other (more important) reasons include the peculiar spacing (i.e. there shouldn't be a fort here) and the complete absence of Hadrianic material from the site.
(I am not a regular reader of Archaeologia Aeliana, so I may have missed other pertinent arguments.)

Of course, when the Romans returned to Hadrian's Wall after AD 160, having mothballed the entire system for a generation, they brought with them twenty years' experience of having designed, built and maintained the Antonine Wall. This is important because (1) none of the forts straddle/protrude beyond the Antonine Wall, (2) several are free-standing behind the line of the Antonine Wall, and (3) most are smaller than the standard Hadrianic forts.

It would be entirely logical for the Romans, upon recommissioning Hadrian's Wall, to incorporate some or all of the lessons learned on the northern frontier. In particular, the Newcastle fort (1) does not straddle Hadrian's Wall, (2) seems to be free-standing, and (3) seems to be smaller than its neighbours.

Far from "making little sense", I think this design makes perfect sense. Smile

Hi Campbell,

Now that you put it that way, I do see where I may have been a bit presumptious. Something that eludes me however, was Newcastle unique along Hadrians Wall to be set apart from the wall itself? And was it the only one to be built after the wall itself? Like Brian said, the small size of the fort was offset by the milecastles and turrets nearby.

Also, I don't know much about the Antonine Wall, but how did troops garrisoned on those forts go beyond the wall? Were there milecastles?

This information would be useful as like you said, it could be replicated with the Newcastle fort.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Newcastle (Pons Aelius) Bridge, Vallum and Fort (info needed - by MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 06-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Newcastle Roman Fort (again) - by D B Campbell - 06-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Newcastle fort - by D B Campbell - 07-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Re: Newcastle fort - by MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Re: Newcastle Roman Fort (again) - by Pons Aelius - 04-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Re: Newcastle Roman Fort (again) - by Pons Aelius - 04-12-2010, 01:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hadrian\'s Wall "vallum" D B Campbell 17 3,117 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Roman coffin from Newcastle brennivs - tony drake 1 1,262 08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Last Post: le Cavalier Invisible
  Legio XXI Rapax, info needed Sardaukar 3 2,797 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell