Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newcastle (Pons Aelius) Bridge, Vallum and Fort (info needed
Quote:Carvoran lies behind the line of Hadrian's Wall; it has produced Trajanic material and is generally accepted to predate the Hadrianic system. Newcastle has never produced any material this early.

How far back did it lie?

Quote:Not sure how a fort can be "offset" by milecastles and turrets. It's maybe there to supply/support the milecastles and turrets in that sector. More likely, there's a strategic purpose.

Sorry Duncan, I did not make myself clear. What I meant by ''offset'' was that the small number of barracks was partly offset by the nearby milecastles and such which contained smaller barracks, as Brian explained once. Paul Bidwell has also expressed sympathy for this view. It may also have been possible there was another fort at Gateshead, which may have also been of smaller size, helping to house the rest of the contingent.

Quote:Through the fort gateways. And there appears to have been a system of fortlets similar to the Hadrianic milecastles (although no turrets have ever been discovered).

I don't understand. You mentioned beforehand the forts did not connect to the wall, so how did they exit beyond the wall through the fort gateways if the fort didn'c connect to it?

Quote:And then there's the outer limes in Germany, where the forts all lie behind the frontier line and fortlets are provided haphazardly. (I think we need a "Frontiers" issue of Ancient Warfare magazine, Jasper! Big Grin )

I am yet to subscribe to Ancient Warfare but will do so very soon.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Newcastle (Pons Aelius) Bridge, Vallum and Fort (info needed - by MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 06-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Newcastle Roman Fort (again) - by D B Campbell - 06-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Newcastle fort - by D B Campbell - 07-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Re: Newcastle fort - by MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Re: Newcastle Roman Fort (again) - by Pons Aelius - 04-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Re: Newcastle Roman Fort (again) - by Pons Aelius - 04-12-2010, 01:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hadrian\'s Wall "vallum" D B Campbell 17 3,116 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Roman coffin from Newcastle brennivs - tony drake 1 1,262 08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Last Post: le Cavalier Invisible
  Legio XXI Rapax, info needed Sardaukar 3 2,796 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell